Problems/Suggestions

Talk about Dr McNinja and don't be jerks.

Problems/Suggestions

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:43 am

Use this thread for reporting problems, or making suggestions for how to improve our forums, and I'll see what I can do.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Re: Suggestions Thread

Postby mikekearn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:12 am

Subforums - I don't think they are needed, as we aren't that big of a group, but I'm not against the idea.
Polls - I support this.
Gender option in profiles - I support this, as well.
Comedy word filtering - I'm against this, even if just for comedic purposes, because if you aren't being comedic, or are trying to talk about something seriously, it can be annoying. Plus, it can confuse new people.

My two cents on things for now. Overall, I think the forums are pretty great, and while new stuff is usually fun, I don't think we should bend over backwards trying to fit in too much stuff.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby katschy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:28 pm

I guess I don't care one way or another about gender; I think it should always be optional 'cos it's really no one's business. Then again, having been internet-stalked simply because I'm a girl (there are weirdos out there, kiddies), I'm a little paranoid about that sort of thing.

As for subforums--I don't think this group is big enough to warrant them, is it? Polls are groovy as long as they don't get randomly made by everyone about everything ("Isn't Edward Cullen just the greatest? Yes/Yes/Yes")--then they just get annoying.

I agree with mikekearn re: the word filtering. It could bite us on the behind.

Also, I would like to point out that I do not think that Edward Cullen is just the greatest, I don't even think he ranks up there; he's an abusive stalker, there I said it.
katschy
Red Cross Vampire

Postby mikekearn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:53 pm

You bring up a good point about the gender thing. I don't really see it as being a problem here, though, where we have a small amount of people, very few strangers, and people generally already know whether a given member is male or female, especially if they have a gender-specific name or use the XX/XY thing like you do.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby katschy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:21 pm

If I'd been worried about it here, though, I wouldn't have put it in the .sig :)
katschy
Red Cross Vampire

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:12 pm

Well, the gender choices are:
male
female
other
both
hamster

so If you're a hamster, you're probably pretty safe, I don't think too many other hamsters are browsing this board, and they probably aren't pedohamsters or whatever.

[edit for not double posting and suggestion]
What about either multi-quote or quick reply?

I can understand not having quick reply because of possible spam issues. But multi-quoteing is nice for threads like the speculation one, 'cuz often (at least I do) people want to reply to multiple other people about their speculations and stuff...does that make any sense?
I for one welcome our new computer overlords
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:16 pm

Multi-quote is something I'd rather not do, as we have a limit to our database size here. It shouldn't ever be a problem (we've not even used 5% of our allowance yet), but I want to keep the size down just in case.

Quick reply I've added to first post as a possibility, I think it can be done you still need to be logged in to do it. I'm still trying to work out how to make gender show beneath avatars (it "should" be doing it already), but as mistercow spotted you can now change it in your profile :D Also, it's optional so you don't have to be any of the above.

EDIT: Fixed. And more options added, just in case you're undecided. If you've done it already, and it's not working, try doing it again.

Turns out I can attach polls if I feel the need :P I thought I had to do something to enable that.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby 42th » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:26 pm

My $0.02 about things:

Subforums - This is something we will eventually need. I'd personally prefer sooner rather than later though.
Polls - Possibly
Comedy word filtering - Yes please :D Though there needs to be some sort of community discussion/polling as to what would be the funniest though. or something along those lines.
Quick reply? - No Opinion
N.W.A.R.S. ...with the earnestness of philosophers chained to a madhouse wall.
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Location: Angel Grove, admiring the abandoned building district.

Postby Camoninja » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:59 pm

subforums I definitely support, especially for games. I'm kind of bored with forum games now, and it can be pretty annoying looking through general to try to find all the different threads I'm interested in while it's all clogged up with new replies from games that I'm not interested in.

polls I think would be fine, as I have said OVER AND OVER AGAIN. MY REASONING: Even if we do get a couple new annoying jerks on the forum who make
annoying spam threads about Twilight, unless the rest of you are all also annoying jerks (which you're not), those threads will just sink to the bottom of the page where we can ignore them. Threads only rise to the top if you post in them, so just ignore them and they'll disappear quickly and we can all get on with it and nothing will have changed, for the most part.

word filtering definitely. I don't think it would much get in the way unless you were trying to have a serious discussion about pirates, or the acronym "lol" (and that's really generally the kind of things that get filtered; the subject matter of the particular forum you're on, and annoying internet acronyms)

quick reply, I really wouldn't care about either way. I'm really just fine with hitting the "post reply" button at the bottom of the page.

Also: this thread should really be in general, or maybe even announcements. It certainly doesn't belong in the comic discussion subforum, though
N.W.A.R.S.
Camoninja
Double Invisible
Doctor

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Mar 31, 2009 7:45 pm

I think polls can be both useful and fun.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Next

Return to The Forums of Dr McNinja