Comic Discussion Thread - April 2016

Talk about Dr McNinja and don't be jerks.

Re: Comic Discussion Thread - April 2016

Postby berlinknives » Thu Apr 28, 2016 11:32 am

Verteiron wrote:And now Radical has Doc assaulting a child on tape.

I mean, that's probably not important, but that's the first thing I thought of.

Yes I want to kill you, but first I'll bring you through the courts ... I just don't see it
dexeron wrote:HOORAY! It's Chekov's Nasaghast!
berlinknives
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby Scud422 » Fri Apr 29, 2016 11:30 pm

This is the type of thing that turns a villain from "I'm doing what I think is right because I have my own motivations" to "I'm an evil bastard! BUWAHAHAHA!"
This is really how the next conversation should go:
:doc "You're going to kill a child?! Are you really that unabashedly evil?!"
:kingrad "No, doctor. That child will die because you failed to save him. His death will be on your hands." (Because that's the stupid cliche that all the evil fucks say)
:doc "NO! You are the one who decided to fill this room with deadly gas! I am physically incapable of saving him. His death will be on your hands and your hands alone! Good luck trying to sleep at night you sick, evil fuck."
*storms out the exit*
We'll whack the wack before the wack can whack back.
Scud422
Temple Guard

Postby Stray Cat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 8:28 am

It could be that this is a ruse. That it's not actually toxic gas and he just wants to watch Doc hurt himself trying to desperately save the lumberjack.
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby zodberg » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:15 am

So, like, I love the comic as a whole. It's great, one of the best, will buy print editions. a+++

but, I haven't enjoyed the comic in what feels like a month This whole pyramid business? Yuck. I feel like the future storyline was The Movie of Dr. McNinja storylines, but ever since King Radical's big plan stopped and he haphazardly used a back-up plan, which didn't work either and now Doc's fighting against the back-up back-up plan. I haven't really been wowed or laughed in a while. Of course I'm not some stupid baby who is going to give up a comic I've loved a long time just because of one bad storyline and I'm sure in the home stretch there will be a lot of good moments.
zodberg
Temple Guard

Postby Stray Cat » Sat Apr 30, 2016 7:08 pm

Really? I thought all that McBonald stuff we just saw was great.
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby Toper » Mon May 02, 2016 2:58 am

I agree with both Scud and Zodberg. Rad hasn't been much of a villain in a while. He used to be cool and his desire to recreate the Radical Land was a great motivation. There was some good stuff with giant robots and a wizard, and Doc won. Yay!

Then there was take two. I liked the president and the negazone, but then it turned out to be part of an overly convoluted backup plan by Radical again. Pulling out Sparklelord to defeat Radical was weird, especially since there was no reason why just having the portal around was going to do any more than the underground portal did, and then having Sparklelord apathetically wander away was a big anticlimax.

Now Radical seems to be just a mustache-twirling generic bad guy. It's like the thing where you beat the boss but he actually has multiple forms or his own more dangerous boss and then you have to do the harder, even more important quest, except Hastings got the order backward.
Toper
Franz Rayner

Postby Verteiron » Mon May 02, 2016 6:24 pm

Remember: Doc never escaped the Negazone. This is all part of his worst fears being realized. The spirit of the Negazone just had to up his game a bit.

If this storyline seems weird and disjointed, well, that's why; it's Doc's ongoing personal nightmare, and nightmares rarely make any sense when you have time to think about them.

No, I'm still not letting go of this one.
Verteiron
Lumberjack

Postby Stray Cat » Mon May 02, 2016 6:27 pm

I think Hastings is at least a little better than "It was a nightmare all along."
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby Verteiron » Mon May 02, 2016 6:45 pm

Stray Cat wrote:I think Hastings is at least a little better than "It was a nightmare all along."

I certainly hope so, but at the same time I'm feeling the same thing as Scud, zodberg and Toper. Something about this whole ending storyline feels... off, somehow. I guess I'm hoping there's going to be some overarching twist that makes everything clear, because there always *has* been. Any time the story feels like it's gone off the rails, it's always been resolved pretty cleanly (within the twisted cartoon logic of the McNinjaVerse, of course).

Then again, it could be as simple as this not being a normal Bunyan, or as someone suggested, the gas not being toxic at all and Rad is just laughing at Doc trying to move the guy around.

I dunno. Probably reading too much into this whole story :P

tl;dr I don't really think it's going to be "he's been in the Negazone this whole time", but I do hope there's an explanation as to why Rad has suddenly developed such apparently sadistic tendencies. Killing a kid just to get at his enemies just doesn't really seem to be his style.
Verteiron
Lumberjack

Postby Stray Cat » Tue May 03, 2016 8:04 am

Well, I mean, there is a fair line of inquiry about this. But I don't think the question is "Why is Rad so evil?" so much as "What the heck is radical about this exactly?" We've seen him kill and hurt people wantonly before. It's just generally been in the interest of radical behavior.

So to me, it's always seemed like Rad's moral code is this: "Radical stuff is good, lame stuff is evil." It's why he thought all those losers didn't have lives worth preserving, and why he was willing to let Doc live for so long. So with Rad, it's survival of the raddest. Normal values like not hurting people and fairness and all that don't really play into it. It's all about being a totally awesome dude.

From a philosophical standpoint, it's an interesting perversion of the traditional comic book storytelling ethic: Our protagonist superpeople must be doing cool stuff all the time to hold our attention, and this is what leads to them deserving love and admiration. It's why you can have comic books about Captain America, Deadpool and Punisher -- their ideas of good and bad can vary wildly so long as they're all cool. It's why we'll suspend our disbelief and convince ourselves that a vigilante billionaire who hunts down and beats mentally ill criminals into unconsciousness is a hero just because he won't kill anyone.

Gassing a sick child to death is... it's a stretch to think that's very radical, yeah. So there probably is more to it.
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McNinja