Comic Discussion Thread - January 2017

Talk about Dr McNinja and don't be jerks.

Re: Comic Discussion Thread - January 2017

Postby Stray Cat » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:06 pm

OK, guess he's, like, Chuck's granddad. Fitting.

Thanks to Chris for keeping me entertained with this comic for so long. You worked to give us big laughs for years and we got them at the low low price of totally free. As someone who, at times, could not afford much, it meant something to me. I couldn't ask for a better gift.
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby Azureflame » Fri Jan 20, 2017 1:53 pm

I have read, and do continue to read, a fair number of webcomics regularly (if not religiously). Several over the years either fell into perma-hiatus, internet death, or some other "they stopped updating and then the server went offline without an explanation (I'm looking at you, Life of Riley). This comic is one of the few I have seen not only come to completion, but do it in a really satisfying way. A few things could have been different, but it's Hastings' story to tell and not the only one he's telling anymore. Frankly that he was willing to stick with it when we've seen many others shelve it in favor of other projects speaks volumes of his ability and character and that, to me at least, commands some serious respect. I should totes get a Doc plushie, both as a bday present to myself and as at least a small token of gratitude to Hastings for getting the job done and done well. It's been one hell of a ride and I'm glad we got to see it completed. I'm really fond of seeing certain details left open to interpretation, and that while we technically never get to see Doc's face we can make assumptions if certain interpretations are correct. IF they are correct. Hastings left us a nice morsel there. Thanks for the ride, Docs. It's been real. Now to see what other fun he has cooked up, this is leaving a big Dr. McHoleinmyheart and that needs filled.
Azureflame
Temple Guard

Postby Drahken » Fri Jan 20, 2017 2:43 pm

Goodrich? Jeez, Doc, don't you think that might be inviting disaster? Though as people have pointed out (and I can't believe I didn't get on my own), that might make Chuck Doc's descendant and that makes for a cool time loop idea that I love. And I'm SO glad we never saw his face. But having said that...

Holy [OH DEAR] I can't believe it's over. When I started reading this comic, the current page was Doc finding the guy with the organic jetpack in the burger warehouse in There's a Raptor in My Office. That was June 14th, 2006. I've been reading this thing for 10 and a half years. It's probably the longest run I have on a comic. Three times a week, like clockwork. It's been such a staple of my weeks that I'm not sure what I'm going to do without it. Thanks, Doctor Hastings for all the fish, and good luck in your future endeavors.
Drahken
Temple Guard

Postby Toper » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:32 pm

Goodbye, Dr. McNinja! It's been fun.
Toper
Franz Rayner

Postby alkafy » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:41 pm

Sad it's over, grateful it happened. Thanks to Hastings and the rest of the team that made the strip possible.
alkafy
Temple Guard

Postby strikinglyalert » Fri Jan 20, 2017 3:46 pm

After all these years, he still doesn't hire night janitors.
strikinglyalert
Red Cross Vampire

Postby Ryn » Fri Jan 20, 2017 4:04 pm

Been following both webcomic and the forum for quite some time. It's sad to see Dr McNinja end and to know that the RSS feed probably won't get another Dr McNinja update again.

Looking forward to that new webcomic Dr Hastings said he was going to begin, though. He did say he was starting another webcomic, no?
Professional Anti-Nihilist

– All Avatar Credits Go To ChaoyuanXu
Ryn
Temple Guard

Postby Sloth_d » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:28 pm

That was one heck of a ride, and now I feel the urge to read it all again from the very start. In fact, I would gladly pay to have the whole comic in one big physical issue (hint hint).

In all seriousness, Love the comic, and the ending was satisfying, yet surprisingly bittersweet. A fresh new start for Doc, at the cost of losing all his family and friends. That curse was serious business.
Sloth_d
Temple Guard

Postby judasmulderrig » Fri Jan 20, 2017 6:12 pm

My heart. :( I've been reading this comic since it was without color. A regular staple of my webcomic reading for effectively my entire adult life. Even though I knew it was coming, it's hard to believe it's here, today. Gonna miss these digs. Seems still like yesterday that I made an account here on the reveal of Radical's true name, years ago now. Been a hell of a ride. Hastings will live on in my heart.
judasmulderrig
Temple Guard

Postby TheSchaef » Fri Jan 20, 2017 8:20 pm

Hmm. Not sure if this implies that Doc is directly related to Rad or if he took the name as a nom de guerre. Pretty sure the McNinja family has been McNinja going back to the first Katanaka, hundreds of years ago.

Thanks for the ride, Chris. One of the last ones I still read from The Old Days, and probably my favorite.
TheSchaef
Temple Guard

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McNinja