Comic Discussion Thread - January 2017

Talk about Dr McNinja and don't be jerks.

Re: Comic Discussion Thread - January 2017

Postby dposluns » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:23 pm

Posting to share in the emotions of witnessing the conclusion to such a long-running opus.

Although I do hope he adds one more page - maybe a back cover of sorts - so that new visitors to the website don't start off with a spoiler to the entire series.
dposluns
Temple Guard

Postby LupoCani » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:44 pm

That, and of course Dr. McNinja's Final Final Thoughts.
LupoCani
Temple Guard

Postby strikinglyalert » Fri Jan 20, 2017 9:57 pm

Hastings's own final thoughts already appear below the fold, so that's probably the end.
strikinglyalert
Red Cross Vampire

Postby Lich king » Sat Jan 21, 2017 1:45 am

Well damn, I guess it's really over hunh? Now I'm just sad. Still though, this comic has been a hell of a ride. Not gonna lie though, I actually completely spaced out on the name 'Goodrich'. I didn't actually remember it's importance till I got on the forum. A big thanks to Dr. Hastings for making this comic, I don't keep up with many of my old web favorites, but this one I have, and I can say I've thoroughly enjoyed it.
N.W.A.RImage Click to see what Rexy says
Spoiler:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onHardness
Lich king
It's good to be the king
Doctor

Postby CheeseWhisper » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:58 am

Well, Dr. Hastings... it's been quite a ride. I think you roped me in for the very first episode, when McBonald was still Ronald McDonald. Either way, the post count kind of betrays my rabid interest in your work. At present, I follow three webcomics: Dr McNinja, Sluggy Freelance, and The Order of the Stick. All three authors have announced their exit plans, but you were the first to execute.

Thank you for doing some amazing -- and consistent -- work over the years. I look forward to patronizing your more traditionally-paying work in the future.

Enjoy your rest, Doc. Don't forget to watch your back when you're out fighting crime at night.
The Doctor McNinja Forums: From tiny spies to beef semen in 8 posts.
CheeseWhisper
Ninja

Postby Verteiron » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:37 am

I am sad the comic is over. I am sad that Doc has to just be a doctor now, and not Batman anymore. But... I'm happy to have been a part of Dr. McNinja's world. It's more awesome than this one.
Verteiron
Lumberjack

Postby Keaton » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:54 am

Now we have the answer:

Dr. McNinja Retires -> Apocalypse Happens -> Chuck Goodrich Goes Back in Time

Verteiron wrote:I am sad the comic is over. I am sad that Doc has to just be a doctor now, and not Batman anymore. But... I'm happy to have been a part of Dr. McNinja's world. It's more awesome than this one.

How are you with portals?
Keaton
Temple Guard

Postby Drahken » Sat Jan 21, 2017 3:10 pm

Now that I've gushed about how great the comic is and how much I'm going to miss it, and had time to digest the ending, I have a question. No one actually saw Doc's face, so why does he have to give up the mask? Couldn't he just get his mask back? Or get a new one? It couldn't possibly be "once it's off they can never remask again" because Dan used the exact same trick in DARE. He put his clothes, INCLUDING HIS MASK on the cropduster pilot and flew the plane in the pilot's clothes with just a towel wrapped around his face. So what's the deal? Is it just Doc WANTING to give up the adventuring lifestyle? Because he's spent his whole life wanting to be Batman, and it'd seem weird for him to suddenly just want to be Clark Kent. (Yes I realize those are two different heroes. That's part of the point.)
Drahken
Temple Guard

Postby Sloth_d » Sat Jan 21, 2017 4:48 pm

Drahken wrote:Now that I've gushed about how great the comic is and how much I'm going to miss it, and had time to digest the ending, I have a question. No one actually saw Doc's face, so why does he have to give up the mask? Couldn't he just get his mask back? Or get a new one? It couldn't possibly be "once it's off they can never remask again" because Dan used the exact same trick in DARE. He put his clothes, INCLUDING HIS MASK on the cropduster pilot and flew the plane in the pilot's clothes with just a towel wrapped around his face. So what's the deal? Is it just Doc WANTING to give up the adventuring lifestyle? Because he's spent his whole life wanting to be Batman, and it'd seem weird for him to suddenly just want to be Clark Kent. (Yes I realize those are two different heroes. That's part of the point.)

I think the key is that during this last comic Doc was cornered, all of his family and closest friends betrayed him and learned that he had been neglecting Gordito's education to the point where he doesn't see Doc like his surrogate father figure anymore. And he also had the Batman crisis when he realized that being a super-hero causes a ton of collateral damage (Old dying in his arms, the kid he was forced to leave to die in Radical's poison trap room, etc.). So he just felt tired of it all, and decided to start anew.

See it this way, the curse of the ghosts came true, the entire world turned its back on Patrick McNinja. So it was time to stop being Patrick McNinja.
Sloth_d
Temple Guard

Postby Felderburg » Sat Jan 21, 2017 6:43 pm

I've been reading Dr. McNinja for years now... since it was a member of Dayfree Press. It's sad to see it go, but it was a heck of a run, and opened a lot of opportunities for the people that worked on it. I've always been impressed by how similar Dr. McNinja is (became) to traditional paper comics, with the collaborative work of writer, inker, colorist. I think it's relatively unique among big-name webcomics that way.
Felderburg
Temple Guard

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McNinja