The P.I. Casefiles

Home of our "Noir" story threads. Come for the plotlines, stay for the coffee. And the pie. It's really good pie.

Is it time to create chapter 2 of The P.I. Casefiles (a.k.a. the Noir thread)?

Yes - Make the new thread now! Concurrent plot/character development is awesome!
7%
Yes - But let us finish this plot line first, please. We're just about to wrap things up.
93%
No - Things are fine as it is.
No votes

Total votes : 15

The P.I. Casefiles

Postby 42th » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:03 am

*You walk up the wooden stairs knocking on the glass door with the words "Private Investigator" and a stylized eye emblazoned on it just as the cone in your own eyes shut down leaving the world in shades of gray. From within you hear a dame ring out "It's open." Cautiously, you enter, and the receptionist too busy at her typewriter to look up directs with you to the next door with a longer than necessary fingernail. It starts to open with a very conspicuous creaking before blowing wide open with a slam! The window behind the desk is wide open letting in the nighttime summer breeze. A lone card table light is hanging over the desk; the rest of the room is draped in shadow. Try as you might, you can't make out any definite features of the figure sitting at the desk. The figure whose feet are propped up on the desk sets down the .357 magnum he was polishing and lights up a nicotine-free cigarette. You still can't make out any definite features; you think your mind is playing tricks on you. Is that a piece of metal? Are those reptilian eyes? *

"I...I-uh....need to, uh, hire you," you manage to stammer out as a red glow brightens where the left eye should be.

The figure leans forward slightly revealing a very toothy velociraptor grin and a glowing red eye.

"Should anyone need the services of a cyborg velociraptor or a private eye, my office is always open," I explain.
Last edited by 42th on Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
N.W.A.R.S. ...with the earnestness of philosophers chained to a madhouse wall.
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Location: Angel Grove, admiring the abandoned building district.

Re: The P.I. Casefiles

Postby Fish Muffin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:16 am

whut
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. ANYTHING ABOVE THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS MY POST. ANYTHING BELOW THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS THIS, MY SIGNATURE. PLEASE DO NOT BECOME CONFUSED, AS MY SIGNATURE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST, WHICH IS ABOVE THE LINE. THANK YOU.
Fish Muffin
Level 12 BEARZARD
Robot Bear

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:21 am

"Well, I uh, I know that." The man stammers. "It's three in the morning. You wouldn't be open...other..."
The rhythmic click click of frustrated talons on wood reaches your harrowed ears.
"...wise." He clears his throat, bowler hat in hand.
"Like I said, I need your services."
The bright lights of the city squirm through the venetian blinds like personified evil.
Cold, calculating and reptilian in more ways than one, the P.I. responds.
"Lots of people need my services. What makes you different?"
"I'm different, because of what I can offer." He digs into his pockets and retrieves a dainty wallet. The raptor smiles and nods as clasp clicks open.
"I come from a very rich family, you see." A dozen hundred dollar bills, all neatly folded to fit the confines of the decidedly feminine wallet.
The raptor tucks his revolver, a veritable handcannon, into it's holster. You take notice of his lovely plaid sweater and continue.
"My father, he was a Broadway star. Recently he moved into moving pictures. Last week, I received a letter. It's, it's..."
The predatory, cybernetic eyes show sympathy at your trouble. He pulls the letter, folded like a delicious pastry, out of his purse. Wallet. Container.
A talon reaches out and grabs it.
"Was it folded like this when you got it?"
"What? No, that'd be stupid. I fold everything that I put in my wallet. It's pretty and saves space."
The detective sighs and unfolds the paper.

Spoiler:
It's a game, Mr. Muffin.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Fish Muffin » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:23 am

Oh, okay.

AND THEN THE MOB BREAKS INTO THE ROOM AND KILLS EVERYONE WITH A SPRAY OF MACHINE GUN FIRE
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. ANYTHING ABOVE THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS MY POST. ANYTHING BELOW THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS THIS, MY SIGNATURE. PLEASE DO NOT BECOME CONFUSED, AS MY SIGNATURE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST, WHICH IS ABOVE THE LINE. THANK YOU.
Fish Muffin
Level 12 BEARZARD
Robot Bear

Postby 42th » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:35 am

With mechanical reflexes, I jump out from the desk, snatch the customer out of harms way, jerk out my trusty paper clip magnum, and put a slug in each of the mobsters before they have a chance to fire. I then begin to read the note.

"Um... was your father behind on his water bill? Because that's what you just handed me: his water bill..."

Spoiler:
>.> whoops forgot to change to first person in the first post. Edit: Fixed. I guess. <.< Oh, well. This is an experimental thread anyway. Fishmuffin, think sockpuppet theater except its us and not sockpupets.
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Postby Veil » Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:49 am

*another man walks through the door, oblivious to the mayhem that has occured before.*

Spoiler:
Lets see if we can keep this sensible for a tiny bit, now eh?

*I eye him up and down. This is the first time I have needed someones help so badly, and he seems to be the only one left. I ajust my scarf so I am sure it covers my mouth. I am sure weirder things have walked in here, but it is a habit. The room is dirty, and damp. I did not expect much more than this, at least, not in this part of town. I look him in the eye.*

"I need both," I said,trying to maintain eye contact for as long a possible."You see, I have a problem..." I let my voice trail off.
"For the last three days, my house has been broken into."
"What was stolen?" the raptor said, eyes squinting slightly, unsure as to why he needed his kind of help.
"Thats the thing. Nothing was taken, but each day, they leave behind various precious items. Gold. Diamonds. Things like that."
"So what is the problem? You think someone is trying to frame you?"
"No, no, nothing like that. All the items are clean. My problem is the... attention it draws. Theives, as well as the dissaproving eye of the neighbours. And the police"

"Ah." he said,"Well, I should be able to help with that." He put out his cigarette. "First we must establish a motive..."
Spoiler:
Beat Me to Making this thread! Also, Fish-Muffin, read the end of the person above you die thread for an explination.
But I doubt it.
Veil
My sweat can clean precious metals.
Judy

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:08 am

The first man forces himself to his feet.
"What the Hell, man." He tried to wipe the blood from his suit, only managing to smear more on his sleeves. "What the Hell. I come in here, you kill a bunch of dudes, now you're talking to this new guy."
He waved at the detective, deep in conversation with the other man.
"Um, hello. And now I'm invisible. Classy. Whatever. Screw you, Komodo. And screw you, Scarf. Forget you guys."
The man swung around on his heel, clicked his purse thing shut, and stepped out the door.
Silence, save for his frustrated footsteps. As he walked by a dead hitman, he slipped. The two in the office barely heard him yell what sounded like "Muck".

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby 42th » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:10 am

*I watch as another customer walks out and make a note to highly consider switching to a 'by appointment only system."

First of all, do you have any enemies who would might want to frame you for anything? Any vendettas against you? Old flames you might have ticked off? Second, are you absolutely sure that the, um..., evidence isn't stolen? Pardon the mess here; the mafia just tried to pick me off. *sigh* Again.

Spoiler:
Veil wrote:Lets see if we can keep this sensible for a tiny bit, now eh?

Now why would we want to do that? ;)
Veil wrote:Beat Me to Making this thread! Also, Fish-Muffin, read the end of the person above you die thread for an explination.

Would everyone be cool if I stuck to first person? 'Cause, you know? :?
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:12 am

Spoiler:
How about we each use first person when we're using ourselves as characters. It can switch in and out of different narratives.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby 42th » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:16 am

Spoiler:
Works for me. I'll probably be using first person a LOT. I'm definitely wanting to leave this open ended to see how it develops. So, um.. yeah. Cool.
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Next

Return to Forum Noir