The future

Home of our "Noir" story threads. Come for the plotlines, stay for the coffee. And the pie. It's really good pie.

The future

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:19 pm

As you can see, the noir moves slow these days. Real slow. It used to be a forum-wide thing, where nearly everyone had a hand in writing it. Now it's only a handful of people, and that handful varies.

It's gotten to be a long, complicated monster that requires a big time investment and intense knowledge of the things that have come before, as well as respect to the plans other people have made long in advance. This makes it really, really difficult to get into. There's the summaries, yes, but so much has been written that just reading all those would be comparable to reading through the volumes.

What I'm proposing is a reboot. Not a total reboot, though; think of it like the newest Star Trek movie.

We'd move to a new city and do a timeskip(ten years is what I'm thinking). The rules would be lenient, the canon would be loose, there'd be little to no planning. It could be lighthearted, it could be dark. Your character could do anything you want them to.

There'd be rules, of course. Only do things that fit in the setting. Don't run roughshod over what everyone else has wrote. If someone writes something you don't like, don't include it in your story.

These are just my ideas and we'll use this thread to talk about them. I think if we do this, or something like this, the noir can be a big, fun thing again.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Re: The future

Postby the_shankmaster » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:46 pm

Seamus, you know I love you, but I know you were expecting me to say this anyway so I'm going to .

The nwar is a big fun thing for me right now as is. It's pretty much half of my life right now, the other half being Blash. You all know that, and if that's sad, well I never I said my life was exciting. A time skip if that length of time would ruin Norman's story because I can barely figure out what Norman is going to eat for lunch today, much less what's going to happen to his career, his relationship with Clara, his drug addiction, and his little sanity problem. I could bring in a new character sure, but this character is my current obsession and I had to do a lot of thinking with help from other people to even get him in here, and I'm not quite done with him yet. And I was just starting to figure out how to get Anne entwined with Franco's story. Maybe it's selfish, but like you said, it's hard work, and if I'm putting in the the work I think I deserve to enjoy myself.

Also, in my opinion, planning is half the fun.

Also I never saw the Star Trek movie, so if I'm off on what I'm saying... sorry.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Aug 02, 2010 7:56 pm

The new Star Trek movie has the original Spock going back in time and accidentally creating an alternate universe. All the original canon is still there, we're just seeing a new side of it.

The thing is, my intention with this was to make it easier for new people to jump in and have fun alongside everyone else.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby 42th » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:23 pm

Seamus O'Seamus wrote:What I'm proposing is a reboot. Not a total reboot, though; think of it like the newest Star Trek movie.

As long as I'm Leonard Nimoy. jkjk

But anyway,
I do agree that the future of nwar is something that does needs serious consideration, but fortunately this is something we don't have to rush into.

As for what to do exactly.... that's a good question. All I know is that either way, we'll need a membership drive.
N.W.A.R.S. ...with the earnestness of philosophers chained to a madhouse wall.
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Location: Angel Grove, admiring the abandoned building district.

Postby xkazzoo » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:51 pm

Bear with me, Noir Ultimate Universe.
Spoiler:
:lol: just kidding... or was I?

But I support whatever ideas we come up with, as long as we can all agree. I don't want people left out now. Right now, though the Nwarverse has gotten considerably smaller and more complex, like a novel compared to a comic. I know that Claudia really likes the way it is and I do, too. I think Jenny agrees but idk, and everyone else has there opinion.

I still like the idea of a reboot, though just as sort of a new beginning with the same characters in a blank page.

But I never was one for plans so whatever.
N.W.A.R.S

May the power of mustache protect you.
xkazzoo
Curiously Oblivious
Ninja

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:10 am

I think that someone joining doesn't need to read all the old posts. I sure didn't when I joined. Someone new to town isn't going to know everything that's going on. Even someone living in town who's never been mixed up in any bad business wouldn't know. People can just pm with active members and figure out ways to insert themselves in. Like I said, I think planning is half the fun. Exchanging ideas with other members is a great social activity. Maybe we should make a post that lists all the active members with a note saying that new people should pm them.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby starseedjenny » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:22 am

I definitely see what you're trying to do, and I get it, the general dying state of the noir scares the crap out of me. But I can't look ten years ahead either... I think we should definitely try other ways of generating interest before we attempt something this drastic
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby helios » Tue Aug 03, 2010 2:16 pm

Perhaps not so much as a reboot as a Spin-Off? Something like a different city, different characters, different rules. That way, there could be cross-over, a less terrifying thing to get into for new peoples, it'd let people try out different characters without having to resort to removing their old characters... You know what I'm saying?
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby 42th » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:52 pm

(... I actually thought on this a lot and had a lot to say but kinda forgot -_-;
maybe if I just start writing most of it will come back...
Warning: Opinionated Train of Thought Dump to follow:
)

helios wrote:Perhaps not so much as a reboot as a Spin-Off? Something like a different city, different characters, different rules. That way, there could be cross-over, a less terrifying thing to get into for new peoples, it'd let people try out different characters without having to resort to removing their old characters... You know what I'm saying?

Here's a good place to start: ironically this ^ was how the first noir thread was essentially; it was a bunch of people with little to no planning whatsoever crafting multiple story threads and settings on the fly. And it was this, back when I could actually nwar regularly, that I personally thought was fun: watching the characters ping off each other and tracing the individual story threads to see how they entwine or intersect or merge and diverge from one another. The only thing was this style is extremely chaotic, which caused the creation of the discussion and summaries threads in order to keep consistent with our own cannon. The unforeseen thing about these things was that it collapsed every story line into one, giant, solidified story line. Granted, this is not necessarily a bad thing, I mean towards the current end of the latest volume is some of the best writing I've read not just in nwar but I've read period, but still membership has dwindled that we can't really support what we've done in the past. (Not to mention the pacing and scope of nwaring has changed since the old days, but that's another matter all together.)

I can also understand why Seamus is speaking of a possible reboot now. Imho, the writing is on the wall for Volume 4 to start (We've just had a one year anniversary, we've long since passed the length of Volume 2, the culmination of narrative events, etc.), and if we're to do a reboot, get new members, whatever now would be the easiest time. So, our choices lie with how we want to handle Volume 4. If we want to do something for Volume 4, now is the time (though I still stand by my statement that we don't have to, nor do we need to rush our decision). We could always postpone creating Volume 4 and let Volume 3 run a little longer (This assuming we all reach a consensus relatively quickly, but I don't really recommend this action because there's only so much epilogue that can be written for Volume 3, imho.) Or we could start Volume 4 but limit ourselves to say only ~15 pages, which should be enough time to make all the necessary narrative adjustments and decide on whatever we want to do for Volume 5.

On a related note,

helios wrote:Perhaps not so much as a reboot as a Spin-Off? Something like a different city, different characters, different rules. That way, there could be cross-over, a less terrifying thing to get into for new peoples, it'd let people try out different characters without having to resort to removing their old characters... You know what I'm saying?

the_shankmaster wrote:I think that someone joining doesn't need to read all the old posts. I sure didn't when I joined. Someone new to town isn't going to know everything that's going on. Even someone living in town who's never been mixed up in any bad business wouldn't know. People can just pm with active members and figure out ways to insert themselves in. Like I said, I think planning is half the fun. Exchanging ideas with other members is a great social activity. Maybe we should make a post that lists all the active members with a note saying that new people should pm them.

trains of thought like these ^ would fundamentally effect my job as a summarizer.

Once again, as for what exactly we should do? I don't really know, but I'll admit that I like the idea of a soft reboot (like Seamus was saying, all the old canon is still there, we're just seeing a different light of it) because it would allow me to bring back the character of the P.I. fairly easily. That plus a membership drive. We could pm all the people who used to nwar and explain the situation and a lot of people have joined so we could advertise to them too. (If we're going to want new people join, we're going to have to let them know that we are here and are user friendly.)
N.W.A.R.S. ...with the earnestness of philosophers chained to a madhouse wall.
42th
piled higher and deeper
Ninja

Location: Angel Grove, admiring the abandoned building district.

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Aug 03, 2010 7:59 pm

I can keep up the active members list if that's a problem.

Also, we should establish a chat somewhere we we can talk nwar without bothering others and without being bothered by 500 errors. We can link to it on one of the threads.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Next

Return to Forum Noir