April 2013 discussion thread

Remember when your parents told you your dog got sent to a farm? This is that farm, except it's full of old monthly discussion threads.

Re: April 2013 discussion thread

Postby Socran » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:15 am

Icalasari wrote:I'd also like to point out that man was once gender neutral. Males were known as weremen, iirc

Yeah, using "man" to refer to humanity isn't the product of a matriarchal society's influence on language, using "man" to refer to males is. Men were originally "weremen", which is an awesome name, and women were "wyfmen", which is... less awesome.

It also makes "man and wife" sound completely uncool if you think of it in those terms. "I now pronounce you a human and his female."
Socran
Temple Guard

Postby Veya » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:34 am

Socran wrote:
Icalasari wrote:I'd also like to point out that man was once gender neutral. Males were known as weremen, iirc

Yeah, using "man" to refer to humanity isn't the product of a matriarchal society's influence on language, using "man" to refer to males is. Men were originally "weremen", which is an awesome name, and women were "wyfmen", which is... less awesome.

It also makes "man and wife" sound completely uncool if you think of it in those terms. "I now pronounce you a human and his female."

You are saying... originally, we were suposed to say "were and wife"? damn, whoever changed that's a dumbass, it would sound so much cooler...
Veya
Lumberjack

Postby Socran » Sun Apr 28, 2013 6:42 am

Veya wrote:
Socran wrote:

You are saying... originally, we were suposed to say "were and wife"? damn, whoever changed that's a dumbass, it would sound so much cooler...

Nah, I think the traditional wedding ceremonies and corresponding speeches came about after whatever changes had been made to the language. Though the term "wife" probably does stem from "wyfmen", I would think. I'm just messing around with linguistic anachronisms.

Y'know, speaking of politically incorrect things, Ron implies that there's no racism in the Radical Lands. I was gonna say it's probably an inevitability in a world populated by helicopter ends and radical kings, but then I realized... wouldn't it be kind of necessary in that world? Maybe they just don't consider "justified discrimination" to be the same thing as racism. "Sorry, no helicopter ents allowed in the hanging gardens. Since, you know, your head is made out of spinning blades."
Socran
Temple Guard

Postby mikekearn » Sun Apr 28, 2013 7:54 am

Perhaps they don't need those rules, because everyone is just rad enough to know where they should and should not go according to their physical stature and abilities.

:doc Ninja edit: Also, Ron totally has two nipples in the third panel here, so I guess on very rare occasions (i.e. a fairly boring head-on view of an un-shirted male) we get to see two nipples. I'm not sure how I feel about this.

:minidoc :doc Double Ninja edit: Has anyone seen Owen around? With how relevant Old and Ron are to this current arc, we need to get these smilies added! Image Image
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby Socran » Sun Apr 28, 2013 10:20 am

mikekearn wrote:Perhaps they don't need those rules, because everyone is just rad enough to know where they should and should not go according to their physical stature and abilities.

Yeah, but that's my point. "Everyone knows where they should or should not be according to their race" sounds kind of politically incorrect to us people from a society of only humans.
Socran
Temple Guard

Postby Stray Cat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 2:24 pm

On a slightly tangential and more optimistic note, I can't wait to see whatever magic those enormous shell straps are a spell component for.
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby Veya » Sun Apr 28, 2013 3:14 pm

Socran wrote:Y'know, speaking of politically incorrect things, Ron implies that there's no racism in the Radical Lands. I was gonna say it's probably an inevitability in a world populated by helicopter ends and radical kings, but then I realized... wouldn't it be kind of necessary in that world? Maybe they just don't consider "justified discrimination" to be the same thing as racism. "Sorry, no helicopter ents allowed in the hanging gardens. Since, you know, your head is made out of spinning blades."

I think a major point is how they act about it, instead of going "Hey, helicopter ents scum, OUT!" like racists pretty much do, they go "Hey buddy, look, I hate telling you this, but it is anatomically dangerous to everyone else if you stay around, could you at least stay outside? don't worry, I will make up with you somehow."

I don't even think it would count as discrimination, just basic safety measures.
Veya
Lumberjack

Postby Owen » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 am

I have never loved health and safety more than when reading the above post.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby Sparklelord » Mon Apr 29, 2013 2:15 pm

:kingrad has the whole "Joker face" thing going on in the last panel there. So that would make Herschel Harley?
Sparklelord
Red Cross Vampire

Postby mikekearn » Mon Apr 29, 2013 6:01 pm

I think :kingrad just called our universe immensely dull. I'm vaguely insulted.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

PreviousNext

Return to The McNinja Archives (Read Only)