Comic discussion thread - February 2014

Remember when your parents told you your dog got sent to a farm? This is that farm, except it's full of old monthly discussion threads.

Re: Comic discussion thread - February 2014

Postby Veya » Thu Mar 06, 2014 10:09 am

Dr. McMeta Knight wrote:So the translator is some kind of low-AI?
That would explain the weirdness of these past comics.

And how it seems to come up with jokes to add on its own.

I love this comic but sometimes feel like it doesn't explain things like this well enough, leaving readers more confused than entertained. If I'm right about the low-AI, Judy could've just mentioned that when she took it out to begin with...

I actually see it as a bit different, it simply follows the hand patterns and "read" the sign language, but at same time it isn't perfect, specially with handsigns that would have multiple meanings(a common issue with any automatic translator), as seen in the current page as it goes off on quite a few alternate meanings for "chieftain", I wouldn't rule out a form of low-AI though, if the gorillas of Gagibuzo are that much more advanced, it could be an attempt to allow the translator to identify context and choose the most apropriated word in a multiple meanings situation, still, it come across as a "It doesn't matter how it works, the important part is that it works." kind of thing, at least in this situation.

Still, I love Doc's "I AM NOT RACIST!"-esque freak out.
Veya
Lumberjack

Postby this » Thu Mar 06, 2014 6:11 pm

I love this comic but sometimes feel like it doesn't explain things like this well enough, leaving readers more confused than entertained. If I'm right about the low-AI, Judy could've just mentioned that when she took it out to begin with...

FWIW, I think this was a sufficient explanation. Dr. McNinja even acknowledged it here.

Going beyond it would have been too much Data-esque and distracting.
this
Franz Rayner

Postby Dr. McMeta Knight » Fri Mar 07, 2014 2:27 am

this wrote:

FWIW, I think this was a sufficient explanation. Dr. McNinja even acknowledged it here.

Going beyond it would have been too much Data-esque and distracting.

But if it didn't have something of a mind of it's own, how (or why) would "the translator manage to get a joke through" ? :?

EDIT:

Ah, wait, unless Judy was teasing Dr. McNinja and she said "managed to get a joke through" as a way of saying "I finally managed to tell to a joke without the machine screwing up" not "the translator pretended to accuse you of being a poacher".
...that would make a lot more sense. Duh. :roll:
Dr. McMeta Knight
Temple Guard

Previous

Return to The McNinja Archives (Read Only)