Comic Discussion Thread - March 2014

Remember when your parents told you your dog got sent to a farm? This is that farm, except it's full of old monthly discussion threads.

Re: Comic Discussion Thread - March 2014

Postby cybermagi » Tue Apr 01, 2014 10:13 pm

"Yes I am a wizard, before you might ask."
cybermagi
Red Cross Vampire

Postby Icalasari » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:23 am

What WOULD the ape version of humanity be called? Apeity? Gorillity? ...Gorilapeity?
Icalasari
Temple Guard

Postby Stray Cat » Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:56 am

It's becoming readily apparent why Doc has become so attached to Judy. She helps balance out all his crummy social skills.
Stray Cat
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby this » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:21 am

It's also apparent that the gorillas don't understand English nor American Sign Language, otherwise Apisha wouldn't be privy to McNinja's social faux pas and Judy's cover-ups. Makes me wonder what prompted her to learn ASL in first place. Her calling the village "boring" few pages before kind of gives away that she's not as provincial as other gorillas are; did she already venture out before or befriended a Jane Goodall-esque character who then taught ASL.
this
Franz Rayner

Postby berlinknives » Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:27 pm

Icalasari wrote:What WOULD the ape version of humanity be called? Apeity? Gorillity? ...Gorilapeity?

It's probably a testimony to our own species centricism that apes belong to Hominoidea superfamily, all apes including us of course are Humanoid/Anthropod.
My guess is "Simianity", but Simians I think monkeys not apes, (even though it refers to both) and humans are regarded as Simian in taxonomy (Simiiformes) The ancient romans never differentiated them.
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/simianity

Apes I think are Catarrhine (down nosers), but that may include some monkeys while the other Primates are platyrrhines (flat nosers) which might include some apes.

Gorilline may regard something relating to a Gorillia, in the sameway Bovine could a cow, it seems that Gorillianity would probably be your best bet.
http://dictionary.reverso.net/english-d ... /gorillian

And there's two types of Gorilla left, there's the Gorilla beringei and there's the Gorilla Gorilla.

:judy
dexeron wrote:HOORAY! It's Chekov's Nasaghast!
berlinknives
Tricky Lobster Person

Postby mikekearn » Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:19 pm

I never expected to receive a lesson on species naming and taxonomy here on the forums, but given how wide ranging and ridiculous this comic is, I don't know why I'm surprised.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby Veya » Thu Apr 03, 2014 4:51 pm

I for one see the fact that Doc reffer to them as humans as less racist, as it shows he see them as equals, he is just using the closest word we have in human language to describe the events.

Judy should cut him some slack, it isn't like humans are prepared for social interactions with a race of intelligent gorillas.
Veya
Lumberjack

Postby this » Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:03 pm

Veya wrote:I for one see the fact that Doc reffer to them as humans as less racist, as it shows he see them as equals, he is just using the closest word we have in human language to describe the events.

Not sure it works. Yes, I agree with you that Doc is referring to them as equals but it really doesn't make it any less offensive. To put forward an absurd example, imagine an Aryan saying to a black, "It might be some of her aryanity still there." Even though the Aryan thinks it a compliment, it just rubs exactly the wrong way.

Judy should cut him some slack, it isn't like humans are prepared for social interactions with a race of intelligent gorillas.

At least she didn't go, "OMG, AISPHA, HE CALLED YOUR WIFE HUMAN!" ;)

I imagine I'd do much worse than Doc, unfortunately.
this
Franz Rayner

Postby CheeseWhisper » Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:57 am

mikekearn wrote:I never expected to receive a lesson on species naming and taxonomy here on the forums, but given how wide ranging and ridiculous this comic is, I don't know why I'm surprised.

Indeed! This forum is a wealth of disjointed information.
The Doctor McNinja Forums: From tiny spies to beef semen in 8 posts.
CheeseWhisper
Ninja

Previous

Return to The McNinja Archives (Read Only)