The Book Club.

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

This Months Book.

White Line Fever- Lemmy Kilmister
6%
The Old Man and the Sea- Earnest Hemmingway
47%
The City of Dreaming Books- Walter Moers
6%
The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
41%

Total votes : 17

Re: The Book Club.

Postby starseedjenny » Mon Jan 18, 2010 7:08 pm

porcupineportent wrote:YOU MEAN NOIR-TIME?

That's...exactly what it is, actually. The thing closely mirrors my own noir plotline (I mean what was always intended to happen, in my mind, including events that I wasn't able to pursue in the noir. Also excluding things I didn't want to happen, obviously, and excluding unnecessary things...) When NaNo started, I was like, "What do I want to write about?" and at the time that's what I wanted to do. They're um...fairly far-removed, at this point, I think. It was a cool experience--on the one hand I had a lot more freedom than in the noir, and on the other hand I had nobody to get cues from.

Might be a weird reading experience for people who know the noir, though. idk, ask Elifolk and Claudiafolk

porcupineportent wrote:(Then when you revise it for mass-publication, change the names and tweak the setting.)

I didn't think of that. That could work, maybe :]
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby mikekearn » Tue Feb 16, 2010 2:27 am

So I just recently started reading Dune. I knew vaguely what it was about, and of course almost everyone who knows anything about sci-fi has heard about the sand worms. I just never bothered to actually sit down and read the thing. Now that I have, I can't believe it took me this long to get started. I'm maybe a quarter of the way through, and it's fantastic. I would easily recommend it already, since if the rest of the book is even half as good, it will be worth it.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby helios » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 am

It is. The only time it goes downhill is in the stuff done by his son.
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby Owen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 6:28 pm

Bump!
I'm currently reading Like Water For Chocolate, which is a strange little book, but I'd definitley recommend giving it a go. At its core it's a love story, but everything centres around food, the main character basically having grown up in the kitchen. Each new chapter starts with a recipe, and each new recipe has some unforeseen, slightly magical, effect. For instance, near the start the main character accidentally cries into the mix for her sister's wedding cake and as a result everyone at the wedding save for her is violently sick... but it only gets more extreme and more 'magical' from there. The recipe for quail in rose petal sauce is particularly fantastic.

Should you get the chance to see the film, as well, have a listen to the music. It was written by Leo Brouwer, an amazing Cuban composer who's done just about everything a musician can do in his lifetime and, in his 80s, is still going.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby ktcarleton » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:10 pm

As a street bum, Im positive I've read at least 60 books in the past six weeks. Im pretending that's healthy. Currently reading an incredibly long QEII Bio.
Making awesome look weak since 1990.

bipolar hug goddess at your service

Il protège toujours, toujours des confiance, espère toujours, persévère toujours
ktcarleton
Magically Delicious!
Doctor

Postby the_shankmaster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:06 pm

I read Like Water for Chocolate. My teacher said it was a chick book. It made me ashamed to be a chick. =(

Spoiler:
I hate when adultery is romanticized. It just makes me sick. Even worse when it's within the family.

In other news I finished 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was fantastic. My reaction to the movie: wtf. My reaction to the book: ftw.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby Owen » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:25 pm

the_shankmaster wrote:I read Like Water for Chocolate. My teacher said it was a chick book. It made me ashamed to be a chick. =(

Spoiler:
I hate when adultery is romanticized. It just makes me sick. Even worse when it's within the family.

It hasn't got to that bit yet, although I've seen the film so I know roughly what happens.
Spoiler:
To be fair on the book: Pedro's marriage to Rosaura is never really anything other than a sham anyway. I read it as an indictment of the culture that led to marriage being regarded in such a manner as to allow that in the first place.
I've just got to the part where Tita is about to marry the doctor and told Pedro where to go. Really, marrying her sister was a moron's move to start with. However, knowing what's going to happen at the end, I can say that the doctor does not deserve it at all.

the_shankmaster wrote:In other news I finished 2001: A Space Odyssey. It was fantastic. My reaction to the movie: wtf. My reaction to the book: ftw.

Loved the book, but I've been warned off the film. I hope to try it someday, but it's not high on my list.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby the_shankmaster » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:43 pm

Owen wrote:
Spoiler:
To be fair on the book: Pedro's marriage to Rosaura is never really anything other than a sham anyway.

Only makes it worse.

Owen wrote:
Spoiler:
Really, marrying her sister was a moron's move to start with.

This.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby mikekearn » Mon May 03, 2010 9:44 am

A while back I picked up 3xT, a collection of books and short stories by Harry Turtledove. I wanted it solely for the short story The Road Not Taken (inspired by, but otherwise unrelated to, the Robert Frost poem). Turtledove specializes in alternate history science fiction. A sort of "what if?" outlook on things. I recently finished the book Noninterference, and it was fantastic. You can pick up 3xT pretty cheaply, and I would easily recommend it based on just that book and short story. I can't wait to get some downtime to read the rest of what is in 3xT.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby ktcarleton » Fri Jun 18, 2010 5:22 pm

Dave and I just finished reading Speaker for the Dead outloud. :D On to Xenocide! Well. Not literally.
Making awesome look weak since 1990.

bipolar hug goddess at your service

Il protège toujours, toujours des confiance, espère toujours, persévère toujours
ktcarleton
Magically Delicious!
Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face