The Book Club.

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

This Months Book.

White Line Fever- Lemmy Kilmister
6%
The Old Man and the Sea- Earnest Hemmingway
47%
The City of Dreaming Books- Walter Moers
6%
The Fountainhead- Ayn Rand
41%

Total votes : 17

Re: The Book Club.

Postby MetalNinja » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:19 pm

Reading Terry Pratchett's The Light Fantastic. I love it and it makes me laugh heartily.
The probability of a random object being a scone is 1 in 6
MetalNinja
I am a cybernetic organism, living tissue over endoskeleton.
Doctor

Postby starseedjenny » Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:58 am

Finally read The Metamorphosis.

Whenever I asked anyone what it was about, they all said exactly the same thing. "It's about a guy who wakes up one morning and he's a cockroach." "Did you like it?" "...it was really weird."

So I was pleasantly surprised that it wasn't, really, very strange to me, not at all the weird experimental thing I was expecting. And it made me cry twice in sixty pages. Bravo, Kafka, bravo.
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Apr 04, 2011 12:46 am

Did our other book thread get nommed?

I visited the library today and was hoping to get a book by China Mieville, per Owen's recommendation. Unfortunately my library doesn't have China Mieville...or any author whose last name starts with M and goes past McSomething.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Owen » Wed Apr 06, 2011 8:38 am

Seamus O'Seamus wrote: Unfortunately my library doesn't have China Mieville...or any author whose last name starts with M and goes past McSomething.

O_o

Perhaps there's a hidden back room with the rest of the 'M's? You just need to sidle up to a librarian and say the password (it's "Silence!").
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby helios » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:34 am

That's pretty terrible. You need to get a new library.
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Jul 11, 2011 7:15 pm

That I do. There's lots of weird stuff in there, though, so it's enough to keep me entertained.

One of those things is Mister B. Gone. It's a novel by Clive Barker, who wrote Hellraiser and in general is a scary scary man.

This book...I'm not entirely sure how to describe it. It's frightening. It's great horror fiction that doesn't go for cheap scares or obvious tricks. It takes a story that by all means should be low-grade dark comedy and turns it into something beautiful, terrifying, and even touching. It kicks in the Fourth Wall, melts it down, forges it into a bird cage, and drops it over your head. Read it now, if you aren't squeamish.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Owen » Sat Aug 13, 2011 6:23 am

Seamus O'Seamus wrote:Mister B. Gone

Officially on my reading list, after that review.

Meanwhile, though, I've been reading Patrick Ness' Chaos Walking trilogy after my sister got me the first book as a late birthday present (...my birthday's in March. So, pretty late). The first book is called The Knife of Never Letting Go and even though it says "young adult" on the back of the first book that seems to pigeonhole it a bit too much: I really think this deserves a wider audience.

The premise is that everybody in Prentisstown can hear each other's thoughts. It's called Noise, and it means there are no secrets. It's been that way since the war, when 'the Spacks' released a germ that caused all the men to catch Noise, and killed all the women. But of course when I say there are no secrets, you probably guessed that's not going to stay true throughout the whole book, and when the main character Todd finds a girl in the swamp (a girl whose thoughts he can't hear), he suddenly has to start running. Of course, the people who are looking for him can hear his thoughts, which is always going to make things more difficult.

If you read a review of it you'll probably hear about how the Noise is supposed to draw a parallel with the constant onslaught of mobile phones and whatnot, but ignore that. It's really well done, and doesn't rest on clichés - you wouldn't even realise you're technically reading a sci-fi book (the Spacks are aliens, the indigenous species on the planet on which the people of Prentisstown are first-generation settlers) until a couple of chapters in. The book really surprised me and I bought the second one the instant I finished the first.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Previous

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face