Depressing Things

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Depressing Things

Postby starseedjenny » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:08 pm

ugh hate stuff like that. especially since i know if it were me i'd probably be on the time-biding one. hard to say

no, haven't. i mean ideally i'd like her to just deal with it and not have anybody else have to get involved. secondideally, she really hasn't noticed i took them (because she hasn't wanted to use them), and it was probably a month or two ago, so if that's the case then i'm not gonna worry about it any more
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby starseedjenny » Wed Apr 06, 2011 10:28 pm

I was having a nice day. I really was. But then.

Caaaalculus
Spoiler:
Last period, I failed the second half of a calculus test really spectacularly. I didn't know how to do at least half of it, probably got wrong answers on what I did know how to do. Bluffed my way through trying to solve problems I knew I can't do, because basically we get partial credit for reasonable attempts. Still think I probably made about forty percent today. Seventy percent, if I'm lucky, on the first half from yesterday.

College1
Spoiler:
Then I called the college I'm going to in the fall, because I was supposed to get an email notification on whether I'm getting scholarships or not forever ago and never did. They told me how to check for it (today, I learned that they divide up their mail system really weirdly and that's why I didn't know I got the message). I did. I did not get the full-tuition scholarship. They gave me half-tuition for fall/winter, which would have been plenty nice except I knew they give full-tuition to hundreds of high school national merit scholars every year and that's what i expected to get but i didn't.

College2
Spoiler:
Then, I checked my housing account for giggles because I pick my dorm on Friday, and every bed in every dorm in the residence halls I wanted to live in is already full. I'm not sure whether they've opened all the slots. (I assumed they had but I guess I don't really know for sure, maybe they're opening them according to room selection dates. So it's possible this whole section is null and void but it still made me feel utterly depressed for a while and still currently worried.)

The dorms I wanted aren't as nice as the huge new ones, but they're closer to the library, which is important on GiantCampus, and they have kitchens and I really will bawl my eyes out if it turns out 90% of all food I eat will be in the cafeterias just because the dorm I wanted filled up because if I don't have the option of cooking I will get a vitamin deficiency and die. So there's that.
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Batman

Postby Owen » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:39 am

Aah, sorry about the college news :(

starseedjenny wrote: if it turns out 90% of all food I eat will be in the cafeterias just because the dorm I wanted filled up because if I don't have the option of cooking I will get a vitamin deficiency and die. So there's that.

Is there not some kind of kitchen available? All the catered accommodation I know of at universities has had some kind of kitchen, no matter how small... Liz had catered accommodation but gave up after a while and cooked her own meals without too much trouble.

That said, the one at my sister's halls doesn't have a fridge, so that's stupid.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby starseedjenny » Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:14 pm

my second choice dorm has...it looks like "an accessible basement kitchenette." however, if they're assuming i need a meal plan, which they do (a heavy duty meal plan is required to live in these halls), it seems like it must not be terribly accessible to share with the building

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Batman

Postby Slortex » Sun Apr 17, 2011 3:03 pm

Well, keep in mind most college students don't really cook, so having an easily accesible kitchen area isn't a priority when laying out a building. But, that also means that it will be empty more often than not, save for people microwaving frozen dinners. If you're willing to walk a bit, I'd be surprised if you had trouble cooking your meals. The only thing that would worry me is the use of the word "kitchenette" because alot of times those don't have a stove/oven. But I think technically the -ette suffix is applied because the area is less than 100 square feet or something, not because of any lack of appliances. So it could still have a stove. For the record, no dorm I ever lived in lacked a space for somebody to cook something reasonably legitimate. And I was a resident advisor at a large university for a few years, so I saw alot of different types of dorms (we had newer, modern buildings, as well as dorms that went back to 1940's).

I wouldn't sweat the calculus performance too much either. You're already accepted, right? So worst case scenario is that they make you take it again in college. I remember struggling in high school calculus, taking it again in college and breezing through it. Going through that stuff twice is good, because its so essential for just about any other math you'll take. I guess if you're not taking anything beyond that class for your major, then there's no real advantage to having taken it twice, but at least you'll be a calc whiz.
Slortex
Temple Guard

Postby Lich king » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:37 pm

Mom got fired for stopping someone from stealing from the restaurant so now we're moving to Maine.
N.W.A.RImage Click to see what Rexy says
Spoiler:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onHardness
Lich king
It's good to be the king
Doctor

Postby mikekearn » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:34 pm

Aw, that's harsh. I hope things work out for you guys.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:16 am

Maine sucks. I am extremely sorry for you. At least you'll have some good cheap lobster though.
I for one welcome our new computer overlords
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:44 pm

My loan got rejected.

I've had my car two weeks and I just got a letter telling me my loan was rejected.

That jerk at CarMax told me I qualified for this loan and let me drive out of there in a car I apparently can't afford.

What am I supposed to do?
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby Owen » Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:27 pm

Honestly? Sue the pants off CarMax, and I'm not even joking. That's awful behaviour. I'm really sorry to hear that :(

You mentioned that your boss said you should have got him to finance it. Any chance he can still help?
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face