Serious Question Thread

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Serious Question Thread

Postby ktcarleton » Thu Aug 12, 2010 5:16 pm

I think we need this thread for serious questions that have nothing to do with politics or religion. :) Debates on psychology, etc.

Serious Question of the day: Do you believe in soul mates?

My answer:
Spoiler:
I tend to think yes, there are. While I think there are several men out there I could have found that compliment me, and even more than I could have had a decent life with, I find it difficult to believe that any could fit me so completely as my soul mate (my husband :P ). It's been my experience that men are far less likely to believe in soul mates, whereas girls, raised on Disney, love to believe in it. So there. :)
Making awesome look weak since 1990.

bipolar hug goddess at your service

Il protège toujours, toujours des confiance, espère toujours, persévère toujours
ktcarleton
Magically Delicious!
Doctor

Re: Serious Question Thread

Postby the_shankmaster » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:26 pm

I don't believe in soul mates. Love is about timing, compatibility, and compromise. That said, you all know I believe in God, and I believe that He puts certain people in your path, but it's up to you and the person to make it work. No one is made for each other, but you can work together to make something.
Last edited by the_shankmaster on Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby mikekearn » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:57 am

I don't believe in soul mates.
Spoiler:
If there really was one person out there who was perfect for me in every way, it would be soul crushingly impossible to find them. There are approximately 3 billion women on the planet, with at the very least a good 100 million of them within acceptable age ranges for me to date. If I dated a new women every day for the rest of my life, and lived to be 100, I'd date less than 30,000 of those women. I'm very much a math nerd, and statistically, the odds of finding the one woman perfect for me is almost literally impossible.

Instead, like Shank, I believe that finding someone you like, and looking past or learning to live with their faults, is much more realistic.

Of course, this leads to the larger question: do you believe in love?
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby icehsm » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:13 pm

no idea, havn't thought about it really, and don't care very much
icehsm
Lumberjack

Postby the_shankmaster » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:29 pm

Also, boys are raised on Disney, too.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby RACHE » Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:32 pm

Usually the stories boys relate to most in Disney are the non-romantic ones.
Spoiler:
I never used to believe in soul mates, but then I found a woman who matches me incredibly. She knows my sense of humour, what makes me feel better, and has alot of the same tastes I do. I'm not saying we're exactly the same. For example she likes neither moustard or pickles, but we compliment each other amazingly, despite our vastly different backgrounds. Not only that, but we came to meet each other through tremendous odds, succeeded in a long distance relationship, and overcame alot of family drama just to be together. We married, and for me, someone that used to be a rather private person, nothing could be more natural than having Caiti with me wherever I go. If that's not an argument for soul mates, I don't know what is.
Neither rhyme nor reason will make us think the same.
You tell me I'm half crazy,
Well you're insane.
RACHE
Neptune! God of the Sea
Doctor

Postby the_shankmaster » Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:33 pm

Nothing, I suppose.

Tell you what, though, the stories I related to in Disney were non-romantic. I spent much of my childhood wishing I were a boy because I was unhappy with female figures in media. And guess what, I'm perpetuating this problem because I write mostly male characters. But none of that conditioning caused me to believe in soul mates.

I am a very mushy person. I'm very much in love with my boyfriend, knew from the start I wanted to marry him (I wouldn't date someone I couldn't see marrying, and if he ever led me to believe that we couldn't or wouldn't marry then relationship would be over) but that doesn't mean I think he's my soul mate.

Then again, hey, I'm a child of divorce, so clearly my parents weren't meant to be together, and if they weren't meant to be together, was I not meant to be? Life gives you what it gives you. You work with it. I believe in souls, but not in soul mates, because I don't think God would be that cruel to me.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Aug 16, 2010 3:22 pm

ktcarleton wrote:It's been my experience that men are far less likely to believe in soul mates, whereas girls, raised on Disney, love to believe in it.

RACHE wrote:Usually the stories boys relate to most in Disney are the non-romantic ones.

Hi guys!
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:35 am

SimbaXNala, OTP, amirite.

Or was that KovuXKiara?
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman