Serious Question Thread

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Serious Question Thread

Postby notmelman » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:12 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KynIKjRwqDI

I feel this is applicable. It is also how I feel.
notmelman
I wish I knew what was really going on.
Witch Gorilla

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Oct 12, 2010 4:13 am

Like.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Thu May 26, 2011 2:10 pm

Sooooo I'm moving in June. No surprise there as I've already mentioned it to you guys. But! This means some changes for me, like not having a desktop computer anymore. All I'll be left with is my netbook, which is severely under powered to do much of anything outside web browsing, the occasional Skype call and document editing. This means it's time to get another computer, this time more powerful. Now, right now there is this amazing deal from Microsoft that if you buy a windows computer that is $699.99 or more you get a free Xbox 360 with it. Great! That's like a $400 computer and an Xbox! But! My brother just bought himself a new Macbook Pro and needs to sell his old 2007 iMac 24" which he is asking about $850 for.

I can easily find a more powerful computer than the iMac for the $700 for the deal, but I really don't have that large a need for an Xbox and I would like to help my brother. I know where this iMac is coming from and that it was treated well and everything. But! I could theoretically try selling the Xbox and recovering some money, or even give it to my girlfriend. So I would like the opinions of you guys. What should I do? Buy from my brother and help him out, or buy from a retailer and get a free Xbox?

PS: I would bootcamp Windows on the iMac because I really only like it for the form factor, not the OS.
I for one welcome our new computer overlords
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby helios » Thu May 26, 2011 2:16 pm

To be honest, I'd go for the Xbox computer. Although I'm biased against Macs, so there's that. But again, I'd not worry too much about helping your brother. He shouldn't have too much trouble shifting it, and you don't want to end up with a sub-par machine, just because you wanted to help someone out.
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby mikekearn » Thu May 26, 2011 4:42 pm

Personally, I would buy a barebones kit from Tiger Direct and build my own computer. It's nice to have a computer ready to go and all, but for desktops, you can always get a more powerful computer for less money if you avoid pre-built computers. However, the Xbox angle is pretty nice. I guess it depends on what kind of Xbox they are giving out as to whether it's worth it or not. If it's the most basic model, without even the HDD, it's probably not worth it.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Sat May 28, 2011 1:49 pm

I agree with the building my own computer, but I don't really have the time or resources to work on it right now. As for the xbox, you can read the release here.
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby mikekearn » Sat May 28, 2011 5:43 pm

Hmmm, it's the 4GB console. That's not really that great of a deal, then, since you would still need to buy one of the larger hard drives for the console to access a lot of features in a lot of games. Many games won't work with the 4GB's internal flash memory - it's a hard drive or nothing, and those hard drives are pricy sold separately.

Also it doesn't take a lot of time to build your own computer. The hardest part is just doing the research to make sure all the parts fit - once you have them all, it's like LEGOs, you just fit them together and can have a computer in a few minutes. Install an OS and you're good to go, which you would be doing anyway if you got the laptop. For me, it would come down to whether I wanted the laptop or a desktop more.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Sun May 29, 2011 2:21 am

Either way I'm going desktop, I have a netbook right now for nice transportation needs. I'd rather have a powerful desktop then a mid-range or low battery laptop and a netbook. And I did mean not the time as in research time. Although I kinda want to do a casemod as well, which would be time consuming.
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Previous

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face