Politics 2.0

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Politics 2.0

Postby mikekearn » Tue Nov 16, 2010 6:38 pm

Alcohol and cigarettes are both worse for your health than marijuana, and a lot of other drugs for that matter. They just don't have the same social stigma. The temperance movement instigated prohibition on the basis that alcohol was the cause of all of society's ills, and banning it would end the problems America was facing. Well of course that didn't work out, and some estimates say that by the time prohibition ended, alcohol and drunkenness were more rampant than ever before. That doesn't even take into account the fact that bootlegging and smuggling of alcohol led to the rise of organized crime in America, which we still face problems with today.

I don't intend for my stance to be that alcohol is bad but legal, so other bad things should be legal. Rather, I think that alcohol is worse than those things, and yet the US government spends billions of dollars each year fighting the so-called war on drugs, with almost 1 in 10 people in this country currently in prison, most of them on drug related charges, for things like possession and sale of marijuana. If they legalized it and regulated it the same way they do alcohol, it would strike a major blow to drug organizations and simultaneously allow the government to gain money from the sale of those drugs, rather than lose money.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby icehsm » Tue Nov 16, 2010 10:19 pm

this is interesting:

http://blog.mpp.org/prohibition/netherl ... /05262009/

also, my idea for a weapon on a plane, a hand help mirror that breaks in half and folds back down. The handle becomes handle of knife, and two sides of broken mirror become sides of blades.
icehsm
Lumberjack

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:37 am

Owen wrote:Relevant: http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/arc ... ed/7057/1/

On another occasion, at LaGuardia, in New York, the transportation-security officer in charge of my secondary screening emptied my carry-on bag of nearly everything it contained, including a yellow, three-foot-by-four-foot Hezbollah flag, purchased at a Hezbollah gift shop in south Lebanon.

The flag features, as its charming main image, an upraised fist clutching an AK-47 automatic rifle. Atop the rifle is a line of Arabic writing that reads Then surely the party of God are they who will be triumphant. The officer took the flag and spread it out on the inspection table. She finished her inspection, gave me back my flag, and told me I could go.

I said, “That’s a Hezbollah flag.” She said, “Uh-huh.” Not “Uh-huh, I’ve been trained to recognize the symbols of anti-American terror groups, but after careful inspection of your physical person, your behavior, and your last name, I’ve come to the conclusion that you are not a Bekaa Valley–trained threat to the United States commercial aviation system,” but “Uh-huh, I’m going on break, why are you talking to me?”

Something tells me that if this guy were detained for carrying a flag onboard, the article would have a rather different tone.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Owen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:46 am

'Tis a fair point.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:00 pm

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Lich king » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:12 pm

Oh shit.
N.W.A.RImage Click to see what Rexy says
Spoiler:

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/M ... onHardness
Lich king
It's good to be the king
Doctor

Postby Owen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:25 pm

Yup.
Owen
Site Admin

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 5:43 pm

However, everyone, including China, is urging for peace. The North stands alone right now.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Owen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:04 pm

The thing is, North Korea does a lot to be seen as dangerous. As I see it, they want to be taken seriously (remember the ostentatious missile tests a while back?). If people start pushing them too hard, I don't think they'll start firing off nukes but I'm still not sure I want to find out what they'll do to protect their dignity.
Owen
Site Admin

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Tue Nov 23, 2010 6:09 pm

I can see them backing down quietly, like when they sank the Cheonan. But I can also see them trying something.

Militarily there's no way they can win a war. Their lack of resources alone determines that. The dangerous factors are the artillery they have aimed at Seoul and that they *might* have nuclear weapons. It's not very likely that they have long-range nuclear weapons, but any nuclear weapon is terrible in its own right(though if they had them, something tells me they would have let everyone know more than once). Any war they start will end quickly, but terribly, for both them and South Korea. The scariest thing is that they might think they can win.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face