The Batcave, 2.0 (Print comics)

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

The Batcave, 2.0 (Print comics)

Postby Owen » Mon Oct 25, 2010 10:12 am

Sadly the auto-pruner earthquake appears to have destroyed the original Batcave thread, so here's a new one. We've turned off the auto-pruner protected against earthquakes, so may this one have a long and happy life.

Image taken from here.

Unfortunately I don't know so much about print comics myself, but I'd like to start off with a plug for Rainbow Masks. It's not a comic, but a new blog started by a friend of mine in the vein of Gail Simone's Women In Refrigerators. EDITED: I should probably add that the theme of both WIR and "Who cares...?" below is violent deaths, so it doesn't make for nice reading. Not for the squeamish - you're pretty safe with Rainbow Masks, though.

Following those links will probably explain better than I can, but basically it's a list of gay superheroes and an account of their treatment in comics. It follows on from Perry Moore's Who cares about the death of a gay superhero anyway? which was apparently not as accurate as it could have been. I don't know enough about that to really comment, but I think the idea's really interesting, so check it out.

It's a big project so if anyone can help him out or correct him just leave a comment!
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Re: The Batcave, 2.0 (Print comics)

Postby xkazzoo » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:23 am

Ah, i only recently understood the Women in Refrigerators thing. Poor Kyle Rayner.
N.W.A.R.S

May the power of mustache protect you.
xkazzoo
Curiously Oblivious
Ninja

Postby Owen » Tue Oct 26, 2010 8:12 am

I actually started reading that list, some of the deaths on that list are actually really nasty :( Most of my DC/Marvel comics are secondhand ones I inherited, from the '60s (that tends to sound cooler than it is, they're in terrible condition and out of order, but I loved them). Things have... definitely changed since then.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Jan 10, 2011 6:08 am

Okay, so, I forgot about this thread until the spammer I fried bumped it.

Recently, I got volumes 8 and 9 of Hellboy. Incredible. It's hard to describe without going into tremendous detail, but this is where things start to get real. It took about seven volumes(several of which were mostly stand-alone stories and all of which were superb)for it to all come together, but all the story-threads are being woven into a single epic scale surpassing, I dunno, Star Wars. Take note though, that the tone here is a lot different from the movies. It's much darker, much more grim, and I'd say a tad more thoughtful than the pulp romps the movies are(Which isn't to say they're bad; I love 'em both). Also, while you could probably understand these volumes without reading all the previous ones, I don't think you'd get the same kind of impact if you hadn't. It's well worth it, trust me. I haven't read any of the spin-off series, B.P.R.D., but I plan to start collecting that soon enough.

Another thing I want to read: Elephantmen. It's about a group of half-man, half-animal super soldiers who were created to fight a war between Africa and China living in the far future. Think Blade Runner for the visuals. It's been recommended to me more than once, but I can't find any volumes of it in stores, so I can't say how good it is. What I've seen of the art is great, though, and the concept is just weird enough to work. Luckily, it looks like most of the series is on Amazon, so you can read it before the movie comes out and have exclusive bragging rights.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby xkazzoo » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:53 pm

Recently i've been spending my lunch breaks in the "comic" section of the Barnes and Noble next door. Every once in a while i'll buy some random paperback just for the hell of it. Did you know that the lead singer of My Chemical Romance wrote a comic? Last week i finished reading the second book of The Umbrella Academy, and it wasn't half bad.
N.W.A.R.S

May the power of mustache protect you.
xkazzoo
Curiously Oblivious
Ninja

Postby helios » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:44 pm

I just read Final Crisis.

What.
The.
Hell.
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:49 pm

Don't read Batman R.I.P then. I'm not gonna go into why I dislike Grant Morrison's writing so much, because then we'd have a 400 page thread and no one would post in it for another month.

I've been thinking about reading The Umbrella Academy. I like the character designs.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby helios » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:28 pm

Oh, I read Batman R.I.P.
And then Final Crisis.
And then The Road Home.
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
helios
Ninja

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:30 pm

You're a stronger man than I if you can stomach all of it.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby helios » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Granted, I had to slip into the Batman of Zur-En-Arrh about halfway through FInal Crisis, but it was just for a moment. One frame, max. But I did it.
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
helios
Ninja

Next

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face