Dream Discussion

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Dream Discussion

Postby the_shankmaster » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:29 am

I was standing in for a flight attendant on a plane to Alaska. For some reason I thought I had to engage the passengers like a kindergarten teacher so I tried to get them talking to me about why they were going to Alaska. I said "so, what's in Alaska?" as in "what brings you to Alaska?" but they took it as "what's in Alaska anyway?" and they were very offended that I would say such a thing.

Also I think the plane existed in multiple dimensions because I remember being concerned about someone trying to enter the plane and falling into the space it should have been occupying.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby mikekearn » Tue Jun 25, 2013 4:08 pm

Spoiler'd for size. I have been having really elaborate dreams, lately. Not sure why.

Spoiler:
I'm working as an apprentice to a tailor. This woman is incredibly good at her job, and delights customers, but is awful to her employees. She reminds me of the Amy's Baking Company lady, just without the harassment to guests. Instead she bullies and abuses us, her employees. I suffer through it, because any job is better than no job, and it at least gives me the freedom to continue working on my side projects when she's busy elsewhere, since she won't actually let any of her employees to the tailoring work itself. We're just there to answer phones, greet customers, and clean up the store.

As my dream progresses, I get closer and closer to finishing my side project, which turns out to be a time machine. The reason I'm stuck in a dead-end, abusive job is revealed - I'm a mutant, of the X-men variety, and although my dream is set around the year 2150, it's similar in setting to the X-men comic books. Almost 50 years prior, renowned activist and X-gene researcher Charles Xavier disappeared, and I want to find out why, and set things right. I know that messing with time could be dangerous, but I proceed anyway. What's curious about my timeline is that the X-gene is not a guaranteed cause of strange powers or obvious mutations, but the government watches everyone who has the gene anyway, just in case. I have no useful mutation available to me, other than enhanced intelligence, perhaps (I did build a time machine after all), but that seems weak in comparison to some abilities. So I decide to fire up my machine and go back 50 years in time to try and hunt down Charles Xavier and prevent him from disappearing, in the hopes that he will be able to continue his work in making mutants accepted in society, and that my dark future of being constantly harassed by the government on down to my own boss will never happen.

I get to the past, and start following clues, but before I can find him, he finds me. I think I'm following a couple of government agents (and this is now the year 2100 or so; they have some newer gadgets, but nothing I haven't seen as I'm from 50 years later). Turns out it's just one agent, and the other one is Charles Xavier himself, though in disguise. In the year 2100 he looks more like his younger self, still ambulatory, and still with hair, so part of his disguise is shaving his whole head and getting some makeup to make himself look older (giving him the Patrick Stewart look, though he still walks). They sit down at a covered bench that looks kinda like a modern bus stop, and I set in nearby to monitor them and eavesdrop. Something compels me to get closer, so I figure I can play it off as trying to beg for change, but as soon as I get closer, Charles Xavier looks up at me and senses something dangerous about me. He stabs into my mind trying to read it, but while that might have worked on people who (in this year 2100) are unfamiliar with or still don't quite believe in mutants, I'm all too familiar with mind probes.

My mind flashes back (forward? back for me, anyway) to my youth, where I was identified as having the X-gene, and taken away from my parents for study. I was locked up and forced to undergo a battery of tests and procedures and interrogations, as they tried to ascertain what my mutation could be, and whether I was a danger to society. Eventually they were unable to find anything (as heightened intelligence and engineering skill are hardly visible on an EEG machine), so I was released. However, like the ghetto Jews in Nazi Germany, I was branded as a potentially dangerous person, carrying the X-gene, so shitty work was all I could get.

My dream flashes back to the present, with Charles Xavier still trying to batter into my mind, and I suddenly realize who he is; at the same time, I realize that I've had more than enough of anyone, my hero or not, trying to break me in that way. I yell for him stop, while I reach out and grasp his hand that he was using to make a physical connection to me. I twist, hard enough to break his concentration, and break free of his mind probe. The other man, not quite sure what happened to me, but easily able to see that I've hurt Charles Xavier, pulls his gun, but I've already let him go and collapsed. Charles is impressed despite his pain, as no one else he'd ever encountered had noticed his intrusion and been able to break it before. He vouches for me to the agent so he'll put his gun away, and helps me sit down on the vacated bench, so we can start talking.

Sorry for the lack of polish - it's all stream of consciousness writing, as I relived my dream and tried to capture it as quickly as I could, before it disappeared.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Jul 02, 2013 12:05 am

I've always wanted a mikekearn origin story.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby mikekearn » Tue Jul 02, 2013 7:41 pm

As in, a story of your own, as envisioned by my crazy brain? :lol: I've been told before that I should take my random dreams and turn them into actual books or short stories at least, but I'm not a very motivated writer. I get easily distracted, and end up having lots of unfinished projects. Maybe one day when I have a more regular, dependable job, then I could set aside a specific time each week to work on it.

I did, however, have a rather amusing dream last night that was incredibly short, and all the more exploitable for it: I dreamed that a little Jewish boy went on a trip to the north pole with his researcher father, and while there, the boy discovered Santa's elves. He gets roped into helping them save Christmas, despite not actually celebrating it himself. In the end, he succeeds in saving Christmas, and begins to question his beliefs. Then he meets Santa, who turns out to be Jewish, too! The real twist is that Santa appears to each child exactly as the child wishes Santa would be, and even though Santa isn't really Jewish, seeing him that way restores the boy's faith, and he goes on his way, happy as can be.

I had another dream last night, too, but it didn't make any sense. I was watching three women running away from the abusive husband of one of them, and they drive into an underground parking lot, where they get defense instruction in the art of javelin throwing. Like I said, it made no sense.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby Sailor Squirrel » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:43 am

Short but silly to break up the chain of sadness. Right before waking up for work, I dreamed of Billy Boyd (as Pippin) in a lab coat dancing to the Bill Nye theme song. >3> Good evening.
Call me Sanchay. This is a placeholder until I can re-activate my account from home.
Sailor Squirrel
Temple Guard

Postby the_shankmaster » Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:20 am

I had a dream about Welcome to Night Vale and I memorized part of the broadcast, so I recorded it.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Previous

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face