Product Reviews

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Product Reviews

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:18 am

Product: Seeframe ImpactV
Screen: 8" diagonal, 600x800 resolution
Connectivity: SD, MC, MMC, mini USB, Wifi

My mom got this frame for her birthday a couple months ago from my brother. He sent it to us with pictures already on it, and yet he had never opened the box. Which was a nice touch, but it's not like other brands don't do that too. Initially when I looked at it, the screen looked like crap. A couple of days later I realized that there was a protective film on it that was damn near impossible to take off. The image looked considerably better after that, but it then became fingerprint prone. Although it comes with a remote, there are also buttons on the right side of the frame - which pick up fingerprints better then a FBI agent dusting a gun. On the menu of the frame there is a nice wide frame(think CSS frames, not physical) that looks to have room for about 3 of their buttony icons wide, and looks like it could easily support a scroll bar on the right. After fiddeling through the menus countless times, I've never been able to get anything else to appear there. You'd think if all they had was 2 options(gallery, settings) they'd at least center them. Under the settings, you don't really get much - screen brightness, how often pictures change, on/off schedule(which is way off), image transition, and wifi.

I haven't messed with the brightness as it seems fine as it is now. My mom doesn't like the pictures staying on for long periods, so she likes it at a fast 30 seconds. The schedule though, oh man. I set it to come on at 12 am, then off at 5 pm. My mom says it's on when she gets up in the morning(incidentally, usually at 5 in the morning) and she has to turn it off. So I've since left it just off constantly unless she wants to look at it or show someone. The transitions are your typical fade, swipe and checkerboard stuff. There was one major thing missing from the menu though: order. There is no way whatsoever to tell the damn thing how to play it's pictures. I'd like to be able to select something like: newest first, oldest first, completely random, or by album. Now, you can create albums on their website(which is used to manage all the photos) but they don't seem to translate to the frame. So every time the thing is turned on(and there is no standby mode) it starts from the beginning. That wouldn't be a problem, if we didn't have hundreds of pictures on it. Then there's the wifi. Now, most things with wifi remember their last network and automatically reconnect to it when they restart - not this thing. You have to put in the password every time it turns on.

Something nice about it though: it can gather pictures from many places for you automatically, such places as flickr, facebook, twitter, picasa, photobucket, and movies from youtube. bad thing: it can gather pictures from many places for you automatically, such places as flickr, facebook, twitter, picasa, photobucket, and youtube. You see, there is no way to say what to take from those places. so it just grabs EVERYTHING. Then it adds it to everything you purposefully put on it, then stirs. It stirs so well that when you try to go back and get rid of what doesn't belong, you have to delete every 3rd, 6th, 2nd, or 5th picture, rather then just selecting all the stuff from one source.

Now, as most of you should know, I was gone for a couple weeks. In this time, hundreds of pictures were taken. Many were posted to both flickr and picasa. None were directly sent to the frame. So, it took the liberty of taking lots of pictures for itself. Here's the downside: those pictures were large, and I'm not sure if it scales them down before receiving them, and I have no clue how many it actually is trying to download. And I say trying because as I type it is still stuck with a black screen and a single blinking magenta picture in the upper-left most pixel. Never-mind, it stopped. And it's back.

So, I'd say if anyone here want's a digital photo frame, go with someone else.

Overall: ImageImageImageImageImage
pretty good picture...when it displays them when/how you want.
I for one welcome our new computer overlords
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:04 pm

Product: VibramFiveFingers KSO Classics

Review: Coming soon.
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby Owen » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:09 pm

I have wanted a pair of those for running in for ages :o But they're expensive over here.
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Sat Mar 13, 2010 6:23 pm

105 UK£ = 159.30600 US$
85 US$ = 56.0242552 UK£

Yikes, I could buy you a pair, and ship it to you for cheaper.
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Postby mikekearn » Sun Mar 14, 2010 11:02 am

I always thought those shoes were kind of creepy. I mean, I still want a pair, but they're just weird. Kind of expensive, though.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:47 pm

Anyone here have an HTC Hero with Sprint? I've read nothing but goodness about it, and I'm going to try going to BestBuy tomorrow to look at it, but I want to try and get personal opinions first.

Also, I still need to review my VFFs.
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Previous

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face