Product Reviews

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Product Reviews

Postby starseedjenny » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:03 pm

This thread is for reviewing products or gadgets, etc., and so on.

I'm thinking of buying an Amazon Kindle. I don't really read ebooks, but I also understand that it'll be a nice thing to have once I go to college and am trying to move all my stuff. Additionally, I really want the endlessly free Wikipedia access (anywhere in the US!). What do you think?
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Re: Product Reviews

Postby Owen » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:55 pm

If I had the money, I would buy one. They look awesome, and I have a lot of music-related ebooks that really aren't much use if they're all on my laptop D:
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Postby mikekearn » Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:50 pm

"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby mistercow.pinoy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 2:23 am

starseedjenny wrote:This thread is for reviewing products or gadgets, etc., and so on.

I'm thinking of buying an Amazon Kindle. I don't really read ebooks, but I also understand that it'll be a nice thing to have once I go to college and am trying to move all my stuff. Additionally, I really want the endlessly free Wikipedia access (anywhere in the US!). What do you think?

I'm all for the digitization of everything, but be warned: College is NOT Kindle friendly, unless you're an English major. afaik, there are not images inside books, only covers can have an image. And thus pretty much every college book is now knocked off the potential list of Kindle books since pretty much all subjects need images for something. Yes you do have endless Wikipedia access, BUT every scroll of the page is going to be considered a page turn, it will deminish your 7000 page turn battery much faster then you anticipate. As well as just using it is kinda slow - true you can jump to any page you want in a book, but unless you know for sure what you want is on a specific page, you're going to be a lot of page turning, at about 1 second a turn(this is VERY slow as compared to flipping a real book)

Owen wrote:If I had the money, I would buy one. They look awesome, and I have a lot of music-related ebooks that really aren't much use if they're all on my laptop D:

Everytime you have something converted into Kindle format, it'll cost you I think 10¢

Any other Kindle questions?
I for one welcome our new computer overlords
mistercow.pinoy
Technologic
Doctor

Location: Amongst the thousands upon thousands of servers that are the entity that is my savior that is Google

Postby starseedjenny » Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:34 am

@mikekearn - yeah, that's the first time I even heard of them. I was all, WHY WAS I NOT INFORMED?
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby katschy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 1:23 pm

Toshiba has a nicer ebook reader that has a colour display and will actually display PDF files (though I think the new Kindle might do that now, too - the original wouldn't).
katschy
Red Cross Vampire

Postby mikekearn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 4:35 pm

Personally, I wouldn't spend that much money on something that does so little. I need gadgets that do lots and lots of things.

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby katschy » Wed Apr 01, 2009 5:31 pm

This is why I have a Mac and a BlackBerry :D
katschy
Red Cross Vampire

Postby RACHE » Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:37 pm

I still hav'nt decided if I want an MP3 player yet or not. What do you peoples think.
Neither rhyme nor reason will make us think the same.
You tell me I'm half crazy,
Well you're insane.
RACHE
Neptune! God of the Sea
Doctor

Postby mikekearn » Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:31 pm

Depends on the kind of player you get, features you're looking for, how much you're willing to spend, etc. The ubiquitous iPod is, while annoyingly trendy, still a good mp3 player, and can be easily hacked into being extremely useful. I did so with my iPod Touch, but you can put alternate firmwares (even Linux!) on the other ones.

Cheaper mp3 players which do a lot less might be a better fit if you don't care about all that stuff.

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Next

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face