Religion Thread

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Religion Thread

Postby Owen » Sun Apr 05, 2009 11:08 am

So, y'all know the deal. Talk about religion, and don't be jerks :D

I'd like to start this one off with this story (courtesy of Digg): Last week during a hearing at the House Subcommittee on Energy and Environment, Congressman John Shinkmus (R) opened up with a couple of readings from the Bible in which he basically implied that man cannot cause the end of the world, because that's God's job so Global Warming isn't a problem.

Discuss!
Since it crosses over nicely into politics, I'm starting the politics thread with the same piece so we can look at this from two angles and also JUST BECAUSE I CAN.

For those of you who haven't guessed, I think he's a moron.
I'm an atheist, but even if I weren't surely that logic would be flawed? Would the Congressman suggest starting a nuclear war based on the same logic?
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

Re: Religion Thread

Postby TheoGB » Sun Apr 05, 2009 12:08 pm

Well there's never a shortage of idiots in power who use religion to further their own ends. He doesn't want nuclear war but I guess he definitely wants kick backs from evil polluting companies.

That said, maybe he would just sit there and enjoy a good ol' nucular war if he knew the heathens were gonna be burnin' too. :(
TheoGB
Lumberjack

Postby Camoninja » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:57 pm

Wait, wouldn't this logic cause him to be against a nuclear war? Oh wait, no, then it would just be "It was god's will that we start this war" or something.

(Oh, and by the way, Owen, that story was on Reddit a couple of hours before it was on Digg, as with pretty much everything else on Digg, as well.)
N.W.A.R.S.
Camoninja
Double Invisible
Doctor

Postby Michael » Sun Apr 05, 2009 2:59 pm

MCMLXXV
Michael
Red Cross Vampire

Postby starseedjenny » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:16 pm

He's going by the whole "anything that happens is part of God's Plan and so anything that happens is God's Fault" logic which is total bullcrap. Seriously I can't stand it when people do that.
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby the_shankmaster » Sun Apr 05, 2009 3:53 pm

Okay, assuming humans can't END the world, we can still make it a pretty crappy place to live in while we wait for Jesus to come back. This guy's logic is horrible.
the_shankmaster
What's a dimension?
Batman

Postby RACHE » Sun Apr 05, 2009 8:47 pm

starseedjenny wrote:He's going by the whole "anything that happens is part of God's Plan and so anything that happens is God's Fault" logic which is total bullcrap. Seriously I can't stand it when people do that.

True that.
Neither rhyme nor reason will make us think the same.
You tell me I'm half crazy,
Well you're insane.
RACHE
Neptune! God of the Sea
Doctor

Postby starseedjenny » Mon Apr 06, 2009 2:47 am

the_shankmaster wrote:Okay, assuming humans can't END the world, we can still make it a pretty crappy place to live in while we wait for Jesus to come back. This guy's logic is horrible.

That is also true.

And I don't think it's that we CAN'T end the world so much as we WON'T end the world before God does it. It just won't happen, sequence-wise.
G: Like helplessness experiments. That's the biggest problem in zombie apocalypses. People who survive will always eventually come to question why they bother.
Seamus: The biggest problem in zombie apocalypses is poor planning and not enough ammo.

N.W.A.R.S
starseedjenny
Cyberdyne Systems Terminator, Model T-N014.
Batman

Postby mikekearn » Mon Apr 06, 2009 6:02 am

Bah, nothing humans can do will end the world. The world has been around for billions of years, and will continue to do so, likely until the Sun goes into a red giant phase and incinerates it.

We can, however, destroy all life on the surface of the planet. That would suck. Or blow, as the case may be.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby Gyvon » Mon Apr 06, 2009 1:13 pm

Owen wrote:I'd like to start this one off with this story (courtesy of Digg): Last week during a hearing at the House Subcommittee on Energy and Environment, Congressman John Shinkmus (R) opened up with a couple of readings from the Bible in which he basically implied that man cannot cause the end of the world, because that's God's job so Global Warming isn't a problem.

as a republican, I gotta say that this guy's an idiot
Gyvon
Red Cross Vampire

Next

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face