Religion Thread

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Religion Thread

Postby porcupineportent » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:10 am

This post veers from the thread, but that's what the internet's for. ;)
Owen wrote:
RACHE wrote:As a Christian I got no beef with Science. Science and the Bible are not enemies

These people don't seem to share your viewpoint.
(That's not a dig at Christianity, it's a dig at morons).

That was so stupid I had to read it twice and step out of the room to digest it.

Ignoring how the argument presupposes the existence of a supernatural entity, there's several other theories aside from the "fish-evolving-into-dinosaur" one. (No, not the carefully-positioned floating rubbish one either.) Loch Ness is connected by a twenty-three-mile strait to the North Sea. Once upon a long long time ago, some plesiosaurs headed down the strait and found a lovely lake. They stayed there. Over time, the strait grew shallower and filled in (because terrain does that), and the plesiosaurs were trapped. Voila, a Nessie family, with the members taking turns at making public appearances. And if you're looking for fossil evidence, then replace the plural plesiosaur with just one - one lonely plesiosaur blessed (cursed) with an extremely long life and a photogenic profile.

NOW. Over with my irrelevant Nessie spat.
Textbooks that'll force an exception to my anti-book-burning policy wrote:God created each type of fish, amphibian, and reptile as separate, unique animals

Counter-evidence to this became painfully obvious around Linnaeus's time (mid-1600s). First, Noah's ark. All the animals that would ever exist had already been created by God and were represented on the ark (Noah was running a veritable McCruise-Ship here, ferrying around those 20,000 non-aquatic animals).

So there's the Flood, the receding waters, and now the unloading of the boat. Conventional belief puts Noah's ark in eastern Turkey when it docks. A new problem arises in species distribution (given a non-Pangea world model). How did polar bears survive the trek from Turkey to Antarctica, given their need for cold climes and blubbery seals? If the kangaroos hopped all the way from Turkey to Australia (to say nothing of paddling across the Indian Ocean), why didn't any of them stay in Asia? If the bald eagle flew straight off for North America, why wasn't Russia to its liking?
Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
porcupineportent
Resident Winged Gumdrop Mammal
Doctor

Postby mikekearn » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:53 am

See, you're trying to use logic to explain what the bible says. You have to do it the other way around. Use logic and science to explain what could have happened, and then apply the story to that, through the filter of understanding how people in ancient times could misinterpret what actually happened and how oral stories finally written down after many generations can become twisted and warped, to say nothing of the constant translations.
"I will not succumb to temptation, unless she's cute."

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
I make these: Image
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby Veil » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:03 am

No, take it as a metaphor. The writers knew that was not what had happened, and were writing these things for a reason. My long post says it well enough.
But I doubt it.
Veil
My sweat can clean precious metals.
Judy

Postby RACHE » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:05 pm

Veil wrote:Apocolypse is not bad! It means everyone goes to heaven, and skips out earth, unless you were bad, then you have to go to Purgatory, to work it off. If you were a real A-hole, hell for you. Personally, it seems like someone was trying to say, when we get to this stage, there will be war before peace. And the A-holes will be screwed. And the meek shall inherit the earth.

If the good guys go to heaven and the bad guys go to hell, who inherits the earth? I somebody's going to take over the earth doesn't that mean that somebody's going to stay behind? And if people are going to heaven and hell right now, doesn't that mean that the apocalypse is moot if there is going to be the same system going on after it?

By the way I got nothing against the evolution of species, like selective breedings of dogs begets different breeds of dogs. I do find it difficult to believe, or find hard fossil evidence that fish turn into lizards and so on. As for the distribution of species after the flood, the bible was written from a matter of perspective. To get a message across to people that know little of the world around them. The world to Noah was the world inhabited by men. They turned bad, rebelled and were drowned. Would it matter if North or South America was excluded from this flood? Probably not because no-one at the time knew about them. So why wouldn't god leave it alone to it's own. Not only that, but the amount of animals Noah could carry on his ark wouldn't be near enough to repopulate every species on the earth. But it could be enough to repopulate an area recently devestated by flood.
Neither rhyme nor reason will make us think the same.
You tell me I'm half crazy,
Well you're insane.
RACHE
Neptune! God of the Sea
Doctor

Postby ktcarleton » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:04 pm

Maybe it's because I'm mean, but I'd love to hear pro-christmas anti-christmas arguments. After all- 'tis the season. :twisted:

Go!
Making awesome look weak since 1990.

bipolar hug goddess at your service

Il protège toujours, toujours des confiance, espère toujours, persévère toujours
ktcarleton
Magically Delicious!
Doctor

Postby mikekearn » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:20 pm

Pro-Christmas:
Spoiler:
Religious or not, the holidays are a time of celebration and good will, where people of all gender and creed can come together. Spending time with friends and loved ones is something we forget all too often, so we should all be thankful of the reminder to love each other and be kind to all God's creatures.

Anti-Christmas:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

Postby helios » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Need we say more?
BYX N.W.A.R.S.
Fighting Crime and Corruption since 1935
Not Disregarding Your Freedoms Since 1949
helios
The Goddamn Batman, and Director of the Central Intelligence Agency
Ninja

Postby ktcarleton » Sat Dec 05, 2009 5:15 pm

ha ha, no, I suppose not, but I wish you would
Making awesome look weak since 1990.

bipolar hug goddess at your service

Il protège toujours, toujours des confiance, espère toujours, persévère toujours
ktcarleton
Magically Delicious!
Doctor

Postby beard » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:33 am

I would say that
Prochristmas: The time to be together with family and break up the mundaneness that is everyday life, the constant done of the work week or school week. Worship the birth of Jesus if you so please, or celebrate Hannukah, or worship the consumer society that many of us live in.

Antichristmas: Why do we need a special time of the year to tell us to be with our families and break up our everyday life. We should do what we love whenever we can.
beard
Temple Guard

Postby mikekearn » Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:43 pm

For the record, I'm atheist, and generally anti-holiday because of what I posted (consumerism run amok) and what beard posted (you shouldn't need a holiday to come together). I can see why people like it, and it's certainly nice to be able to trade gifts and see the joy on everyone's faces, but the added stress, trash, and overall waste of money and other precious resources really make me wish I could avoid it. Unfortunately, my family is very religious for the most part, so it's unavoidable.

Spoiler:
Visit the orphateria.
mikekearn
*bamf*
Batman

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face