Religion Thread

For those times in life when you need to have a serious talk.

Re: Religion Thread

Postby Veil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Notice how they both describe the creation of man, animals, plants and what not? Surely God did not create these things twice? Once when making the world, and once for Eden? And they are not two descriptions of the same event, because god does things in a different order. Also, in the second story, the world is explicitly described as barren, so the first story cannot have happened.
But I doubt it.
Veil
My sweat can clean precious metals.
Judy

Postby porcupineportent » Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:34 am

I think that section's supposed to be interpreted with the two stories happening at the same time. The first story gives a wide overview of what's happening in those seven days, and the second story is more zoomed-in on the creation of life. It's an addendum.
Who put the bomp in the bomp bah bomp bah bomp?
Who put the ram in the rama lama ding dong?
porcupineportent
Resident Winged Gumdrop Mammal
Doctor

Postby RACHE » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:42 pm

That's pretty much how I read it.

Veil wrote:If anything, christians should have a beef with History, not science.

As a Christain I got no beef with Science. Science and the Bible are not enemies, after all Job 26:7 was written at a time when the earth was sitting on the back of a turtle in an endless sea, but today, that verse is not scientifically inaccurate.
Neither rhyme nor reason will make us think the same.
You tell me I'm half crazy,
Well you're insane.
RACHE
Neptune! God of the Sea
Doctor

Postby Veil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 11:45 pm

I agree with your agreement. Also, whats interesting, now you have mentioned it, how scary accurate some of the passages in Revelations are. If you view the thousand years of being ruled by Satan as a metaphor for the fact that for the last century was pretty bad (There was this one guy, name of Adolf.Not to mention the pretty shoddy leadership from Nixon, the two Bushes, Clinton and the many dictators we have had,greedy men who have desroyed their country, IE Kim Jong Il, Stalin etc). Then we Should place the apoclypse pretty damn soon. The things like "Men shall outnumber birds in the sky" seem almost true now, albeit a slight exxageration. Also, fun fact: Apocolypse is not bad! It means everyone goes to heaven, and skips out earth, unless you were bad, then you have to go to Purgatory, to work it off. If you were a real A-hole, hell for you. Personally, it seems like someone was trying to say, when we get to this stage, there will be war before peace. And the A-holes will be screwed. And the meek shall inherit the earth.
But I doubt it.
Veil
Judy

Postby Fish Muffin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:08 am

Ugh, purgatory. Catholics and their crazy religious inventions. Almost as bad as the Jewish inventing 613 (Or was it 617?) rules to not break ten.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. ANYTHING ABOVE THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS MY POST. ANYTHING BELOW THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS THIS, MY SIGNATURE. PLEASE DO NOT BECOME CONFUSED, AS MY SIGNATURE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST, WHICH IS ABOVE THE LINE. THANK YOU.
Fish Muffin
Level 12 BEARZARD
Robot Bear

Postby Veil » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:28 am

Fish Muffin wrote:Ugh, purgatory. Catholics and their crazy religious inventions. Almost as bad as the Jewish inventing 613 (Or was it 617?) rules to not break ten.

Purgatory is a Catholic thing? I'm a Pascals wager type christian, and I took that on board so I could do what I wanted, and be safe in the knowledge that only the true bastards of this world would go to hell. Also, bonus points to those who know what Pascals Wager is (No google). I have never met a person who has.
But I doubt it.
Veil
Judy

Postby Seamus O'Seamus » Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:13 pm

If I remember right, Pascals Wager is picking a religion and saying "If there is a God, I have a religion. If there isn't, oh well."

Now that I've spouted that factoid, don't expect to ever see me in this thread again.
Remember our bargain, wizard.

Seamus O'Seamus
You!
Doctor

Postby Fish Muffin » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:38 pm

Purgatory is never mentioned in the bible.
THIS IS MY SIGNATURE. ANYTHING ABOVE THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS MY POST. ANYTHING BELOW THAT LITTLE GREY LINE IS THIS, MY SIGNATURE. PLEASE DO NOT BECOME CONFUSED, AS MY SIGNATURE HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH MY POST, WHICH IS ABOVE THE LINE. THANK YOU.
Fish Muffin
Level 12 BEARZARD
Robot Bear

Postby RACHE » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:09 pm

There is very little in the bible saying that says anything about Hell either.
Neither rhyme nor reason will make us think the same.
You tell me I'm half crazy,
Well you're insane.
RACHE
Neptune! God of the Sea
Doctor

Postby Owen » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:40 am

I believe there are a few references to Sheol, the Afterlife, in the Old Testament. But if I recall correctly, it's much more akin to the Greek idea of an afterlife - one big place with different sections for different kinds of people - than the clearly separated Heaven and Hell we know today. When the Bible was originally translated from Hebrew to Greek, the word Hades was used.

That's not the only way of understanding it, though - it can also be read to mean "grave", amongst other things, I think. But it's usually referred to as a place, and sometimes personified, so it's not likely to be merely a literal word for grave.

RACHE wrote:As a Christian I got no beef with Science. Science and the Bible are not enemies

These people don't seem to share your viewpoint.
(That's not a dig at Christianity, it's a dig at morons).
Problem? Thoughts on how to improve the forum? Hit the suggestions thread!
Truth is stranger than fiction, strange is what I do...
Owen
A penguin who is also a ninja
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to The Forums of Dr McSerious Face